Why is it we pay VAT on Chainsaw Trousers

Jontreasure

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I understand, it's not related to protective equipment being essential or non-essential, it's just simply that protective boots and helmets for industrial use are zero VAT rated. No other types of PPE are zero rated. :001_smile:

I would think this is due to a hard hat and toe caps being the major concern in MOST H and S related industries.

Maybe not enough pressure has been applied to get what is "essential" updated for our sector?

as i believe helmets are not VAT exempt unless they are bought complete with ear muffs and visor:biggrin:

so buy complete and most of the muffs are paid for by the nice vat man

rather than complaining should we not be thanking the vat man for a few concessions :blushing:

as i believe helmets are not VAT exempt unless they are bought complete with ear muffs and visor:biggrin:

rather than complaining should we not be thanking the vat man for a few concessions :blushing:

Thank the VAT man!

For what! concessions, there once was more conscessions, gradualy they are being eroded, and being VAT registered just makes you an unpaid tax collector!

So you can claim your VAT back, you lose as much as you gain.

Helmets for industrial use bought on their own are VAT exempt. Muffs and visors bought on their own are not VAT exempt and taxed at the current standard tax rate. However, if a helmet, visor and muffs are bought as one complete unit, then the complete unit is VAT exempt. :thumbup:

Edited by Yve_Clark
insertion of 'industrial' just to clarify

Helmets for industrial use bought on their own are VAT exempt. Muffs and visors bought on their own are not VAT exempt and taxed at the current standard tax rate. However, if a helmet, visor and muffs are bought as one complete unit, then the complete unit is VAT exempt. :thumbup:

cheers for that

I knew it was something like that:thumbup:

From what I have been told the reason trousers are not VAT exempt is the rules came from the building industry hence Boots and Helmets are a must. But they never considered the Arb industry for some reason.:thumbdown: So you guys end up paying the VAT on trousers.

This looks like a good opportunity for the AA to show us that they really do fight our corner.

Come on AA you say you stopped two strokes being banded (although I'm sure the construction industry were on that one too) now get this unfair taxation stopped.

Edited by skyhuck