Lidl (or Aldi) chain sharpeners... worth a punt?

Steven P

So this week Lidl have a parkside chain sharpener in at £20... is it worth a looking at?

My thoughts are that the discount supermarkets have a 50-50 hit rate of decent tool / throw it out, all this is a motor on an axis really so the electrics should land it in the decent side of life, but will the angles and bearings might be a bit rubbish? I've found that their motors tend to be decent enough, it is the housings that let them down generally or a specific size leading to a lack of consumables.

Second thought is that it might be fine for domestic use - which is me - but maybe not pro use

Last thought is the chains they are designed for - assuming it biased towards the domestic market, the cut will be biased towards the smaller chains (again which is me) - the oregon chains that are on everything

'Big shop' night tomorrow so will make my mind up by then

They do produce quite an aggressive hook when sharpening a 3/8" non lo-pro chain.

I will use a rescued chain on easy cutting woods until the touch ups with the round file has restored the correct profile.

Cutting willow with a sharply hooked chain is a lot of fun 😁 (as long as the saw has enough power to pull the bar length)

I found the grinder slow/fiddly to set up and use, I got one years ago but not used it in a long time. It doesn't do the depth gauges, so you will still have to do them manually.

Got a pferd (stihl) 2in1 file this year, so far I think that is the best (easiest/fastest) way of sharpening chains.

• Like 3

I've had one about a year, it makes an exceptionally sharp chain, much sharper than a file will get it.

It also gives the correct angle, where as any manual filed chain is going to be slightly off and different each tooth. I try to avoid filing my chains as it means the grinder will have to take more off to get the correct angle back.

For about double the price Einhell do a cordless version which would be better for me. I think the build quality is just as bad.

The problem is general loose fit of the parts.

I made up a fine threaded adjuster.

The main pivot bores on mine measure 8.6mm but the pin is 7.9mm, so it has 1.4mm of slop! An easy fix is to replace the pin with one measuring 8.6mm or near as you can find.

With the slop, you can go side to side, you dont need to set it up accurately. Each tooth will be a slightly different length. Mini 1/4" .043" chains are impossible, too much slop and you easily cut off a tooth. which are what I use on my Echo 2511.

Works well on 3/8 LP, 3/8 and .325 chains.

Without the slop, the teeth should be equal length but you would need to start on the shortest/most damaged. Should have mine upgraded today  and then I will try it on some small chains.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Steven P said:

I went for it at the weekend and got one, not used it yet though.... have to make some space n the work bench (job 563 on the list)

Job one is find a piece of 3x2 to bolt it to so you can clamp it in the vice👍

• Like 1