Moving Cars

RICH GPTS

Alright kids? I've lost count of how many jobs we've had to postpone because of parked cars in the way. Does anyone know the laws around moving cars? I quite fancy getting some car skates to move cars out of the way buy not sure where we stand legally. Any one ever used these things?

Screenshot_20240928_145001_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Ignoring the law for a moment, will your business insurance cover you for moving cars? Could be expensive if it goes wrong. I would also be quite irritated if anyone touched my car without permission.

We quite often place signs/notices up a few days before a job if needed, but they are "Please do not park" rather than official closure of the parking area.

For street parking you probably need to pay the council to close it, they put the yellow signs up, and only then could you ask the council to move any the cars.

No idea if its a private parking area.

One flat/car owner was on holiday so car couldnt be moved, so we chucked a load of ton bags over it and guarded from drops using a rake. If it was more than one car it could have delayed the job.

1 hour ago, RICH GPTS said:

Does anyone know the laws around moving cars?

That is one area where vehicles are different from other property, moving things without doing anything else to them is likely to be a civil matter but moving cars may be interpreted as taking without owners consent and is a criminal offence although the law states it is "for use" so may not be applicable.

If a timely warning has been given I'd do it and have done in the days before electric parking brakes and alarms.

Back when I worked in London this happened a bit.

Block of flats with dozens of separate residents, car parked for months, no one has a clue.

You just have to make a decision if you can work around it.

I’d be very reluctant to move it yourself.

As an addendum, a year or so ago I had a big ash to remove for a landscape company with a big branch over a car park of a block of flats.

On the initial pricing I stated that I wanted a section closed on the day, and that if any cars were in the way I would not do the work and charge a fee for ‘deplacement’ 

They said no, so I said no as well.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Legally I think you're up a proverbial without a paddle.

As you really don't want to be touching a car for fear of damage claims and such.

We cleared a West Sussex CC site . Felled some big trees , cleared scrub etc etc . As all the arisings were generated on site we had a good old bonfire . Some bloke with a Merc wanted to charge us for a complete respray . At least  800 yards away !   

As they say god loves a chancer.

Maybe for such jobs price for leaving the lads vehicles the day beforehand, or look into 1ton concrete blocks maybe ?.

The blocks idea might be a great advertisement too, for your safety etc signage.