Echo CS-2511

D Seaman

Hello everyone. I thought I would share a recently discovered fact regarding the little Echo 2511. A couple of months into owning one it started running badly - stalling suddenly and being difficult to re-start, necessitating half throttle. I looked on here and it seems it’s a quite common problem. I was surprised by how forgiving most, if not all, of the thread posters were and reckon it might be because of the incredible lightness of it. 

Keen to get it sorted out before the warranty expired, I took it back to the dealer. They contacted Echo for advice and were advised that this saw needs its carburettor to be set up by the dealer. I spoke to the dealer’s fitter and he said the instructions from Echo (literally pages of A4) went far beyond what they normally have to do during a pre delivery inspection. 

I am only passing on what I was told and don’t know whether this applies to other Echo petrol machines. Maybe this explains why there are so many people experiencing running problems with this saw. Of 4 people I know of (excluding me), 3 have had running issues with it. Personally, I don’t think it’s good enough. I don’t see why after spending £420+ for a tool, it doesn’t work properly. 

Anyway, sorry for going on a bit!! I hope this is helpful. 

Wouldn't that be the repair or carb rebuild manual and not the pre delivery inspection ?.

@pleasant might have a better understanding dealer wise.

But every piece of equipment I've ever bought from stihl was just assembled out of the box and fired up by the dealer.

Don't even think the fuel mix was ever adjusted?.

No problems with mine, exceptionally easy to start and I dont see why that would change over 3 months use. I drain the fuel out each day so the fuel cant go bad. Bought it in Dec but not using every day.

I notice the other guys 151TC feels like it has much higher compression, wasnt expecting it to take that much force to start! However my 2511 has felt like it does from new. I dont know if his 151 is standard. His 500i is the same, that hurts my wrists to start!

Now my 020T has recently been playing up, too easy to pull over and wouldnt start but, if I got it running was fine. Had a look today and swapped a new sparkplug, felt better and started instantly. I think the plug sealing washer had gone from reusing the plug a couple times ( pulled it last week to check colour).

Edited by kram

1 hour ago, D Seaman said:

Keen to get it sorted out before the warranty expired, I took it back to the dealer. They contacted Echo for advice and were advised that this saw needs its carburettor to be set up by the dealer. I spoke to the dealer’s fitter and he said the instructions from Echo (literally pages of A4) went far beyond what they normally have to do during a pre delivery inspection. 

Could be just the normal dealer bullshit, they will say anything to get a sale or avoid blame.

If its true, may help others if you can get a copy of the instructions? Theres only 3 adjustment screws on the carb so setting it up is just that, not to say there isnt a long process to get them in the correct place...

Edited by kram

The dealer should not be selling saws if he can’t set them up! You just need the half moon screw driver and there’s loads of videos on you tube 

They are a bit different to tune but even I’ve managed to set one up. 
I can thoroughly recommend any one wanting a 2511 to contact gand on the forum, the shop he works for set up one I bought absolutely bang on, google dick Leigh or do a search for Gand. 
skyland can also set them up I’ve been told. 

• Thanks 1

All machines we ever sell are fully assembled, fuelled and oiled ready for customer to collect. He/she is then given a concise handover as to start, run and stop it. Including the correct use of safety devices and what to do and what not to do. This covers all machines we sell, whether hand held or wheeled, such as lawnmowers and such like.

We have been main dealers over the years for some of the biggest and most prestigious brands- but not Echo. All brands we have been a dealer for stipulate this is how their machines should be handed over after a concise PDI, and we sign paperwork to prove this has been done.

In the last 10 years or so, with the introduction of more stringent EU emissions- especially 2-strokes, we have seen an awful lot of 2-stroke machinery assembled by us prior to hand over, that will barely run out the box....this is, so if randomly picked off the production line by some EU official the manufacturer can be guaranteed it will pass emission tests. Once the machine is sold, emission tests do not apply, so us dealers override if necessary the factory carb settings to allow the machine to breathe properly- and thus operate as it should. We do have the odd machine out the box that will run fine with no tweaking, but will probably come back for an adjustment a week or so later. We don't charge for these adjustments as it would be awkward to do so and doesn't foster good relationships with customers.....even though the manufacturer won't pay us for doing so, so it cost us time and money, but in the long run it will pay off for us.

• Like 1

That was useful Pleasant and I agree with what you said. The dealer is a very big/multi branch agricultural dealership that are dealers for Husqvarna, Stihl, Echo, Milwaukee and possibly other brands too. And that’s just the garden tools side of their business. The machinery salesman is very well regarded and approachable so I will speak to him about what is being done post sale and pre collection. Perhaps not a lot!!!!

If its been a couple of months worth of use then I would presume the initial setup was OK.

Make sure your air filter is clean, this is very imprtant on these machines, split it and clean it out properly with carb/ brake cleaner. Check the fuel pipe isnt split at the end where it goes into the fuel filter.

Check your spark plug is good and tight.

Basic carb settings are around 2 1/2 turns out on the low and high, tweak them from there/

• Like 1