Robinia

Bonkers Mad

Question

Hello 😊

Bit of background. I moved into my house 30 years ago. Right at the front was a horizontal stump where a tree had been cut down. Over the years the tree regrew into a beautiful robinia. About 10 years ago the trunk split during high winds and it had to be cut down again. Over the last 10 years the tenacious bugger has regrown from the original stump but all over this time and has become more of a hedge, which i love. I keep the sides cut back from the pavement but cant reach the top even with a ladder so when my neighbours fella offered to do the top last week i accepted. Today i realised he was outside doing it but she had taken it upon herself to take loads of the middle out. I'm fuming tbh. The whole point of allowing it to grow like that was for privacy from the street. My question is, will those lower branches grow? Or will it eventually fill out with leaves again next year. The original stump is actually on concrete so i cant even plant something in the gaping hole it's left 😭

20240831_153625.jpg

20240831_153533.jpg

Edited by Bonkers Mad

6 answers to this question

Its never gonna be a good dense nice looking hedge wrong species, but should thicken back up abit after a few yrs  & help hide what looks like  some plastic litter......

You could plant some othe stuff in the gaps yew or beech etc if you want a thicker hedge

57 minutes ago, Bonkers Mad said:

Hello 😊

Bit of background. I moved into my house 30 years ago. Right at the front was a horizontal stump where a tree had been cut down. Over the years the tree regrew into a beautiful robinia. About 10 years ago the trunk split during high winds and it had to be cut down again. Over the last 10 years the tenacious bugger has regrown from the original stump but all over this time and has become more of a hedge, which i love. I keep the sides cut back from the pavement but cant reach the top even with a ladder so when my neighbours fella offered to do the top last week i accepted. Today i realised he was outside doing it but she had taken it upon herself to take loads of the middle out. I'm fuming tbh. The whole point of allowing it to grow like that was for privacy from the street. My question is, will those lower branches grow? Or will it eventually fill out with leaves again next year. The original stump is actually on concrete so i cant even plant something in the gaping hole it's left 😭

20240831_153625.jpg

20240831_153533.jpg

They do coppice readily . I had one on my front lawn ( it was a tree ) that eventually was touching the guttering . I felled it ( good fire wood by the way ) and within a couple of years it was back up to chest height .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Its never gonna be a good dense nice looking hedge wrong species, but should thicken back up abit after a few yrs  & help hide what looks like  some plastic litter......

You could plant some othe stuff in the gaps yew or beech etc if you want a thicker hedge

It was a nice dense hedge before today. There is some litter there that couldnt be seen before she massacred it so im gonna have to get in there and clear that out. As i said, it's concrete, or some other hard stuff so cant plant anything but there is a little sycamore there that i might just have to let grow in the space and keep it low 🤔

Edit to say the hard stuff is whatever the driveway is, to the left of the second pic. Pinkish knobbly stuff. I dont know what that is called 😂

Edit to add picture of this time last yearScreenshot_20240831_185238_Gallery.thumb.jpg.370a658d2d885869b6344bdce83a5ac7.jpg

Edited by Bonkers Mad