Advice for an apprenticeship in UK

McGill01

Hi all,

Almost 2 years ago (21 months), I got a new job in the tree industry, the job was advertised as an apprenticeship. When I started with the company, I was told that they would put me through my main tickets, to this day I haven't gained any tickets, not even for a chipper. I've had in house training with the squads to the point where I know I can use a saw, chipper and hedger and general labouring jobs. 
I have been told on many occasions that I would have a ticket by a certain date but those dates have just came and gone with nothing.

I approched my managers asking what is happening with the apprenticeship and everytime I do, I feel like the just blow me off quite quickly.

Recently, I have considered putting myself through tickets or leaving and try go somewhere else but I have never followed through with these ideas.
Anyone got any advice on what I am best doing next?
TIA

Hello McGill, my 3 cents if they’re worth anything:

1)it sounds like they are fobbing you off. 

2)if you can afford the basic tickets I would say get them yourself. Either cs30/31 and 38 if you’re interested in climbing. 
3) Then with your tickets and a couple years experience start asking around for days at other firms. 
depends a bit on where you are and that for how much work is around. but good to get experience with different firms anyhow. 

Keep thinking about this.

Honestly, from the op it seems that there's no intention of putting you through tickets but there might be more to it.

You're not happy with things and you need to take control of the situation which will enable you to make a decision.

Raise your situation directly, in writing, with the most senior person you deal with (area manager/HR/owner). Make it clear why you're unhappy with the position you're in and request a proposed schedule of progression, including what courses you will be put on and the timescale for doing them. Also ask them If you were to fund courses yourself what increase in wages you could expect.

If they can't provide a clear idea of what you can expect then they aren't serious and you can decide whether you stick with it or look elsewhere.

I know a lot of people feel uneasy about being direct like this but in the long run you will know by their response if they are serious or are taking the mick, either way you can move forward.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Keep thinking about this.

Honestly, from the op it seems that there's no intention of putting you through tickets but there might be more to it.

You're not happy with things and you need to take control of the situation which will enable you to make a decision.

Raise your situation directly, in writing, with the most senior person you deal with (area manager/HR/owner). Make it clear why you're unhappy with the position you're in and request a proposed schedule of progression, including what courses you will be put on and the timescale for doing them. Also ask them If you were to fund courses yourself what increase in wages you could expect.

If they can't provide a clear idea of what you can expect then they aren't serious and you can decide whether you stick with it or look elsewhere.

I know a lot of people feel uneasy about being direct like this but in the long run you will know by their response if they are serious or are taking the mick, either way you can move forward.

Went to the ops manager and they said that I would get tickets by some date, that came and gone, then another date and it just keeps cycling on from there.
Went to the owner fairly recently, to tell ask them and they said that there is a plan for me but nothing is booked, the same answer I got a few months ago. 

Starting to look else where, but I keep getting told they are looking for people with tickets.

3 hours ago, GarethM said:

Shouldn't you also be going to college as part of the apprenticeship as I presume you're not on full wage ?.

I was expecting that, or for courses to be done by a training company. Which it seems more likely to be the latter from what the previous talks have said. Getting a full minimum wage which is more that I expected, so I'm happy with that for the time being.

from the limited details it sounds like youre being had right off.

minimum wage for someone thats able to use a chainsaw and chipper and hedgecut, im guessing unsupervised?

im seeing the lack of tickets being a play to keep you working for them, on lower wages, cos they know you cant go somewhere else without tickets.

id consider wearing waterproof trousers cos youre clearly pissing into the wind.

all of this is based on assumption.

question: are you felling, snedding, hedgecutting etc unsupervised and left to it? or is someone on your shoulder every time?

question: have you banked enough cash to pay for the tickets yourself and put yourself in a postion to request better wages or leave?

assumption: someone is advertising an apprenticeship as a way to pay someone lower wages for a more skilled job under the disguise of training, and paying full minimum wage to keep you quiet.

23 minutes ago, manco said:

from the limited details it sounds like youre being had right off.

minimum wage for someone thats able to use a chainsaw and chipper and hedgecut, im guessing unsupervised?

im seeing the lack of tickets being a play to keep you working for them, on lower wages, cos they know you cant go somewhere else without tickets.

id consider wearing waterproof trousers cos youre clearly pissing into the wind.

all of this is based on assumption.

question: are you felling, snedding, hedgecutting etc unsupervised and left to it? or is someone on your shoulder every time?

question: have you banked enough cash to pay for the tickets yourself and put yourself in a postion to re,  better wages or leave?

assumption: someone is advertising an apprenticeship as a way to pay someone lower wages for a more skilled job under the disguise of training, and paying full minimum wage to keep you quiet.

Yeah, I can be left unsupervised to do the work, they don't have a problem with that.

I could potentially put myself through tickets, but I would struggle to get the time off for it, just with how holidays are working out in the squads just now.

Also yeah, I agree after doing alot of thinking, that it seems they hired an 'apprentice' as a way for cheap labour.