Poly tunnel reskin

david lawrence

Hi

ive decided to bring my poly tunnel back to life

do you think I can put more anti heat tape over the existing stuff on the hooops or do I need to scrape the tape of and start again

if it does need to come off what’s the best method tried scraping but a bit worried I was danaging the galvanising 

Any tips or experience very welcome

thanks

Ive only ever had to pick off a little bits as the skins had been off for so long the UV hot and cold had got rid of it. I'd imagine that a brass brush would shift it without shifting the galvo.

On the advice side. Put the skin on the hottest day with as many people as you can find to help you.

• Like 1

Dja know what? A lot of people don't even bother with the tape any more. The polythene, as long as you are getting a decent gauge from a decent supplier and not some shite from Homebase or whatever, is generally a better quality these days.

Use it to protect from sharp edges, exposed nails, corners or whatever... but it's far more important to get the skin as tight as a drum so it doesn't move and doesn't wear. 

3 hours ago, david lawrence said:

Hi

ive decided to bring my poly tunnel back to life

do you think I can put more anti heat tape over the existing stuff on the hooops or do I need to scrape the tape of and start again

if it does need to come off what’s the best method tried scraping but a bit worried I was danaging the galvanising 

Any tips or experience very welcome

thanks

You have to scrape it off, otherwise it will fall off within a month.

The tape will increase the life of the polythene and it is worth taking off the old if you are fitting new.

I'd suggest using a hot air gun or similar to assist with taking the old off.

You need to work out the value of the year or two extra life of the polythene against the cost of the hotspot tape, money wise I doubt there's much in it but reskinning sooner can be a bit of a ballache.

An assistant helps reskinning but it is no big deal on your own, all the assistant is good for is having someone to blame if you put a hole in it.

Reskinned mine plenty of times on my own, 18'x64' so not a small one.

Warm still evening is favourite, perfect conditions here right now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, slack ma girdle said:

Thats what i hoped ,  but within a month of re-skinning my tunnel most of the tape that was stuck over existing tape had fallen off.

Luckily a tree then fell across the tunnel,  so i had to re-do it properly.

Eh? We’re talking about the tape that goes between the frame and the skin aren’t we? How on earth is it falling off? The skin is pressing it on. 

• Like 1