Brushcutter Advice/starting out strimming etc.

Donnie

Long story short. Felled trees in the back of my garden 5 years ago, this is the state of it now that it is unkept. Access to the back is a twat and I detest the builder that built it…

I’ve recently done my ticket, not for this but for taking on strimming work alongside commercial cutting to broaden my skillset and offer more jobs to management companies as there seems to be a lot more readily available work in maintenance for small time outfits. Correct me if I am wrong. 

If anyone on here does work like this in forestry let me know I’d love to have a chat if possible. 

For example what is the going rate for paying a subby to come alongside and strim with me etc? I hear I will get about 180-200 per man per day and I can price jobs per hectare. 

I’d like to class myself as a fair if not overly fair man and I don’t want to pay sub par wages to fellas that want to work if you know what I mean. 

Looking at FA561s as they seem like the way to go even for strimming tall grass? 

Also, is there much of a market for domestic work where I could earn a quick bit doing some brushcutting work? (people with bankings and gardens like mine). 

IMG_5003.jpeg

I know this isn't much help, but my pet hate is people using the word 'strimming' or 'strimmer'

These are trade marked brand names of Black & Decker....strimmer is a bastardization of the words String/Grass Trimmer, which is the name they used to introduce their noddy electric lawn grass edger shite things.

Its like saying 'I'm doing the Hoovering, when what you mean is 'I'm doing the vacuuming'

Notice there is a trade mark logo immediately after the usage of STRIMMER...it's their word.

WWW.BLACKANDDECKER.CO.UK

I know what you mean, but it grips my shit.

Rant over.

Edited by pleasant
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pleasant said:

I know this isn't much help, but my pet hate is people using the word 'strimming' or 'strimmer'

These are trade marked brand names of Black & Decker....strimmer is a bastardization of the words String/Grass Trimmer, which is the name they used to introduce their noddy electric lawn grass edger shite things.

Its like saying 'I'm doing the Hoovering, when what you mean is 'I'm doing the vacuuming'

Rant over.

The Yanks call them clearance saws I think (brush cutters)

8 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

The Yanks call them clearance saws I think (brush cutters)

We also call them clearing saws. The next level above brush cutters.

Neither of which are brand names though...not a 'strimmer' in sight

WWW.STIHL.CO.UK

STIHL quality at home and at work: Grass trimmers ✔ Brushcutters ✔ Clearing saws ✔ ➤ Find out more!

Edited by pleasant

1 hour ago, pleasant said:

Notice there is a trade mark logo immediately after the usage of STRIMMER...it's their word.

WWW.BLACKANDDECKER.CO.UK

Rant over.

So what you’ll have to do is put a big advert on the side of the van “Clearance saw work” the phone will be red hot🤔