Brushcutter Advice/starting out strimming etc.

Donnie

4 hours ago, kram said:

From a hand vibration and weight/stress viewpoint I think it would be much better even if the cable needs frequent replacement, it would be worth it. Your right about bad reviews but its the only backpack one I can see. For normal combi tools there are a few brands available but its likely the same chinese kit.

Get a decent battery hedge cutter (normal and long reach) and backpack or belt battery. Low vibes, low noise, zero fumes in your face, cheaper to run, refuel at home, lightweight with the separate battery.

• Like 1

My makita hedge cutter a 18v one is excellent, while the DUR369A 18v x2  brushcutter abit  of a dissapointment due to short runtime. It  works fine,  but with   two  18v 5.0amp  batteries last not much more than 10 min with line  cord on meduim rpm setting and about 15min with the blade.

Theres a jap guy on youtube uses/tests   loads of makita cordless stuff &  does loads of strimming.

Shows what volume of work the battery kit is capable of.

The new  40v system brushcutter  he uses alot seems to have alot longer runtime even though its a bigger motor which i don't get....

WWW.MAKITAUK.COM

Product

Cost about £1000 with  2 batteries though for  1.5kw.... so not cheap

Runtime listed as 53mins in catalogue V 23mins for mine with same capacity batteries....but has a larger KW motor

ECATALOG.MAKITA.CO.JP

「園芸商品カタログ202404_Z15318-1」

Battery measured in AH - Amp Hours? To do the same amount of work, larger volts will take fewer amps (Power = Volts x Amps type of equation, volts go up, amps go down, power stays the same).

(And with the maths, Say power output of, for example 10, and 40 volts, amps would be 0.25. Same power 10, 18V, amps will be 0.56A, about 2.23 times larger than 40V Amps... which coincidentally 53 minutes is also sort of about 2.23 times longer than 23 minutes..... same power output but longer run time for the same battery capacity)

• Like 2

So I thought Wh(watt hrs) is  indicative of runtime not amp hrs?

2x18v 5.0 batteries makes  it 180Wh capacity  with 1kw motor on the strimmer...

1x 40v x5.0 battery also is 180Wh capacity(well it calcs as  200Wh but there listed as having 180wh)  but on a machine that has  a 1.5kw motor

By but that^ calc it  should be the opposite way round with the runtime being 1/3 shorter due to the larger motor?

Edited by Stere

5 hours ago, Stere said:

1x 40v x5.0 battery also is 180Wh capacity(well it calcs as  200Wh but there listed as having 180wh)  but on a machine that has  a 1.5kw motor

The "40v" will be a 36v system

A 36v battery fully charged is normally 42v, and around 32v discharged

3 hours ago, scbk said:

The "40v" will be a 36v system

A 36v battery fully charged is normally 42v, and around 32v discharged

That's right for most lithium nickel manganese cobalt ones used in power tools, these are the ones that catch fire if you abuse them but still have the best energy to weight.

With seasonal use tools it's necessary to store them charged and recharge them after 6 months else the cells get low and the charger will not recharge them. I had a hedge cutter come in to the repair cafe that was flat and would not accept a charge from its charger. I managed to charge each of the 10 cells individually to 4.16V and it worked again plus could be recharged, which was lucky as the battery is now obsolete (same make as Titan).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a 200mm blade and a 250mm guard and it is hitting. 

Please tell me that you can use a smaller blade on a bigger guard before I lose the will to live with this thing

Or before I gouge it out with the grinder/just take the guard off anyways

Edited by Donnie

54 minutes ago, Donnie said:

Bought a 200mm blade and a 250mm guard and it is hitting.

Are you sure the correct drive washer is between the blade and the drive shaft. On my stihl it looks much thicker.

BTW Whilst I always used the cup under the mulch head or tri point grass blade I did not with  saw blade,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Are you sure the correct drive washer is between the blade and the drive shaft. On my stihl it looks much thicker.

BTW Whilst I always used the cup under the mulch head or tri point grass blade I did not with  saw blade,

Aye it seems like it’s right. 

I’ve just filed the guard ever so slightly and it seems to be fine.