Insured claim?

eggsarascal

Last Thursday some young lad hit me head on, he’s not disputing it was his fault, he was going like Joe feck around a blind bend on a country lane, I’ve not informed my insurance because his father said he would pay up to £2k for the repair, which he’s stood his word for, the problem is, the bill is £2600, and the father ain’t moving on it. I guess, because I didn’t inform my insurance company straightaway that they won’t want to know? Should I just suck the £600 up, or is it worth getting the insurance involved. What would you do? 

I'd suck up the £600 and put it down to experience. Insurance companies are legit crooks. They'll use anything to wriggle out of paying, they'll probably love the fact that you didn't tell them about it initially and use that against you.

Thinking about it: you should probably tell them anyway, even if not claiming. There's sure to be a clause somewhere that invalidates a potential future claim if you don't.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, peds said:

This might not help now, but I'd have gotten insurance involved immediately, on the day, without fail. 

And then have a massive increase on my renewal even though it wasn’t my fault. My mates car got wrote off when it was parked up, his insurance doubled even though he wasn’t in the car at the time.

• Sad 1

At that point, don't even bother with insurance at all. How do the two totals over your lifetime stack up, money paid against reimbursements? Think of what you could have saved if you'd just gone under the radar, like I suppose the young fella who hit you was...

Again, this won't be helpful as hindsight is 20/20, but what were you thinking agreeing to a 2k cap? If it's the other party at fault, that isn't something for them to offer. They either cover the costs entirely, or they don't, and insurance does.

At this point, be happy with the 600 quid sting, I suppose. 

Edited by peds

12 minutes ago, peds said:

At that point, don't even bother with insurance at all. How do the two totals over your lifetime stack up, money paid against reimbursements? Think of what you could have saved if you'd just gone under the radar, like I suppose the young fella who hit you was...

Again, this won't be helpful as hindsight is 20/20, but what were you thinking agreeing to a 2k cap? If it's the other party at fault, that isn't something for them to offer. They either cover the costs entirely, or they don't, and insurance does.

At this point, be happy with the 600 quid sting, I suppose. 

This camper is an odd ball, if it had been standard £2k would have covered it, I knew it wasn’t the original engine, what I didn’t realise was the drive shafts had been custom made when the replacement engine went in, this is where the extra cost came in.

33 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

This camper is an odd ball, if it had been standard £2k would have covered it, I knew it wasn’t the original engine, what I didn’t realise was the drive shafts had been custom made when the replacement engine went in, this is where the extra cost came in.

Are the custom drive shafts goosed then Egger ?

I’d tell your insurers now and just explain you were hoping not to claim but there is more damage than first realised. There won’t be a time issue and the fact that the other party agreed to pay your damage shows they accept liability for the collision. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Are the custom drive shafts goosed then Egger ?

The offside one is fubar, that bill is with me sourcings the parts. I’m in a fairly agricultural area where the garage it’s in don’t mind working on it. It would be an insurance write off if I reported it. 

• Sad 1