long reach hedge trimmer

aidank

Im in the market for a long reach hedge trimmer, would like to go the ebay route.

What would be recommended, wont be doing a lot with it, 4-5days cutting of thick as finger griselinia hedge in the year, and some long grass under an electric fence.  

I nearly prefer Japanese stuff rather than Stihl, have a Maruyama HT230 trimmer and a Tanaka blower and start first time and keep going. 

Mitsubishi didn't know they made tools,   Mitsubishi l reach hedge trimmer, Made in Japan , very good condition not stihl | eBay      Any brands to avoid  ?

Have a Stihl FS55 strimmer and chainsaw MS231 and both need trips to dealer regularly for a service to keep idle speeds set correctly.

All those machines I mention above are 2stroke, is 4 stroke to be avoided ? obviously will be running long reach hedge trimmer at all angles. 

Edited by aidank

Maybe spend a little more on Stihl or Husqvarna models that aren't aimed at the home owner market.

Most gear kept clean and given a regular filter change rarely needs adjusting. Hell my chainsaw has probably 1000 hours and just needs TLC and wear parts.

• Like 1

The newer stihl hedge cutter heads, white ones are made of cheese - just nowhere near as good as they were so for this alone I’d be looking at other brands. Happy with my Echo but only had for 4 months so far. Shindaiwa strimmer bought last year has also given good service so far

1 hour ago, Husqvarna King said:

Agree with what has been said above but can’t you buy just the trimmer head and swap it over with the strimmer head on the fs55 or the other jap strimmer if it’ll fit?

I stripped the gears on my Stihl HL75 long reach, probably my fault for bashing it into stuff that was too big for it. I currently have the head off a ryobi multi tool on it but it's pretty hopeless.

I'd like to know what other heads would fit it as the original is not available anymore.

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I stripped the gears on my Stihl HL75 long reach, probably my fault for bashing it into stuff that was too big for it. I currently have the head off a ryobi multi tool on it but it's pretty hopeless.

I'd like to know what other heads would fit it as the original is not available anymore.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

All adaptors are 6mm thread. Shaft Extension. Toothing Pitch - 35 mm. Sound Level - 108 db (A). Pressure Level - 98 db (A) . Vibration Level - 10.0 m/s2 (SX) / 12.0 m/s2 (DX). Select the...

w much is the Stihl version I wonder

ho

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, aidank said:

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

All adaptors are 6mm thread. Shaft Extension. Toothing Pitch - 35 mm. Sound Level - 108 db (A). Pressure Level - 98 db (A) . Vibration Level - 10.0 m/s2 (SX) / 12.0 m/s2 (DX). Select the...

w much is the Stihl version I wonder

ho

Around £320 for the 600mm long

2 minutes ago, aidank said:

anyone ever used this shortened version of a long reach trimmer    

Jomac HT260 Short Reach Hedge Cutter (johnosullivanplant.ie)

is it any better than a regular trimmer 

I had a Husqvarna one like that, was a good tool until I bought a long reach and never used it, so converted it to long reach by fitting long shaft.