Free Tree shelter - Tree Tube Removal

jamiebee

Hi there.

I am planting up a small woodland myself but on a budget. I was wondering if anyone had some tree tubes they wanted removing. In return for labouring to remove the tubes, I would get to keep any tubes that could be salvaged for reuse. Ideally a reasonable fraction would be removable without cutting and ideally looking for tubex tubes. Looking for about 1000. Also would be willing to barter labour for other options. E.g. experience, trees, firewood etc..

I'm based in Wales but can travel about though maybe not to the north of Scotland for example.

Let me know if this is of any interest

Jamie

Id suggest don't automatically  think you always need to use tubes as trees can do fine without.

Obviously might depend on the location what critters are about etc.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys.

I suppose i'm less of a forester and more of a small woodland creation project sort of person. So I can afford the time to faff about and pamper the trees a little more - but not the money. So if I can help someone do a job and get free tubes in return I'm up for that. The site is windy and south facing so the tubes do provide quite a nice microclimate for a good head start. Also some of the trees I got were pretty big - I bought 400 from coeden fach in swansea (lovely community tree nursery). Expected 2/3 year whips for the price - got two meter trees in some instances!! Still dont know how I got them all in the van! So Canes and spirals wont work for everything I'm doing although I think I will take your advice and use them as much as possible for the bulk of my planting stere.

Rabbits are the main problem and the odd vole. I do understand the faff and volume of the tubes having planted my first 1000 trees last winter (wind break and test patch) and having used reclaimed tubes for these. Had to build a pallet structure to house the things etc.. I agree a lot lot more faff and time spent than I thought it would take. I feel a bit more time spent pampering particularly my initial windbreak will pay off in terms of faster growth across the site. 

Let me know what you think - and especially if youve got some tubes you want shot of!

- Jamie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A late friend used to reuse old tubes and for those where the cable tie had pulled through he would simultaneously pierce a new pair of holes and feed the cable tie through with a tool he called a McCloud, named after the guy who thought it up.

I made one from the small diameter aluminium tube from of a TV aerial, one angled cut to produce a sharp end and bent to curve back out as it produced the second hole, cable tie then passed into the sharp end fully and the tool withdrawn , leaving the tie in place.

mccloud.png.53a0be75f8472ea5b79fe86a5f402feb.png

Edited by openspaceman
added picture
  • Like 5