PAYE people....when do your hours start?

stewmo

The lads I knew who were on that lived on one side of their region so it worked out OK for them, but I think the rule was the same for everyone - which it should be - everyone does half hour 'free' commute or you all get paid for it. Sure way to upset the workers if is there are 2 sets of rules

It appears many employers on PAYE do it as a day rate, Im unsure the legalities of that and I had a bit of dispute over hours because certain team leaders stated that hours began when we got to site, which meant meeting the team at 6:30am for the long van drive upto London or Kent, and then not allowed to leave site until after 4pm. With traffic I wasnt getting home until 7pm. It really took the piss when they were expecting me to drive the van, too!

Even the short days were working out less than minimum wage. I didn't stay there long.

• Like 1

I’ve not been PAYE for a long time, when I was I got paid from when I left home until I got back, I was ‘field’ based, before that I was paid from when I got to the yard until I left. To many piss takers about, once you turn up you’ve started work, doesn’t matter how far the job is from base, that’s not your problem. 

• Like 1

I worked for a company, years ago.  The boss would quote for 8 hours onsite.  He expected the boys to be at the yard for 0730.  Yet sometimes he had promised the customer we would be there for 0800, and it was a 45 minute to 1 hour drive to site.

I once asked him if we could start earlier to get shit ready for the day but his response was he had always started at that time.

The main problem for me was I had two young kids at the time in childcare.  We wouldn’t get back to the yard and leave till 1700.  I rarely made it back on time and had a few fines.  Plus it wasn’t fair in the kids.

We fell out a few times over it and when I gave my reasoning he said pay for more childcare.  I lost it at that point as I didn’t think I was taking the piss to want to spend an hour with my kids before they went to bed at 1900.

This main gripe I had was this bloke was a devout Christian.  

Christian, my arse!

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

This main gripe I had was this bloke was a devout Christian.  

Christian, my arse!

... I've seen a few of them... be seen and heard at 9:30 on a Sunday morning, do what you want the rest of the week

• Like 2

Being paid for the hours on site and not starting and finishing in yard is complete row locks. If your travelling from home straight to site because it’s closer and easier for you then it’s site hours. Same for subbies, if they travel to yard and travel with the rest they’re paid as well as far as I’m concerned. Thought there was a shortage of decent workers - vote with your feet. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Makes sense to me arriving at yard leaving yard being the hours of work. 
But as ever always interesting to hear different people’s experiences over the years of work. 

• Like 2