Advice re transplanting Box

Hi all.

I have got a lot of box bushes a friend is removing from their garden, I know it’s not the best time of year to transplant it but it’s worth a try instead of composting it. I’m lifting a car load and replanting it as soon as possible and obviously watering it in well, they have as bigger root ball as possible.

they were not trimmed last year by the looks and have a fair amount fo soft new growth. Should I run the hedge trimmers over them on the next dull day? Trim them hard or lightly if at all?

any advice gratefully received.

cheers, NoPedigree. 

Reckon I'd be trimming at least half of the foliage off for starters, to reduce the demand on the compromised roots for water.

Edit. Just realised that I misread the question and am thinking of Privet. That's as tough as normally. I think Box is similar but I've not much experience with it so going out on a limb here. Interested to see other opinions. Don't take the first answer!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I wouldn’t bother with Box at all now.

I’d plant something caterpillar proof instead.

I hear what you are saying.. But being in the country with few near neighbours that have no box and a large number of wrens in and out of the box already planted I think I’ve got a fair chance with em if they take. Also the other half wants them so in they go😀.

NoPedigree

• Like 3

Seriously don't plant or transplant box hedges - caterpillars or blight are all over the UK.  It doesn't matter if you don't have neighbours. You will end up with blight, its inevitable.  Then you can go down the stressful route of hand- cutting, spraying, fertilizing and you still end up with blight. Its not worth the effort.

Viable alternatives are:

Ilex Crenata, Japanese box leaved holly.

Taxus Baccata, Yew.

Euonymus Japonicus, evergreen spindle.

Teucrium x Lucidrys