Confusion.

Chatting with one of my customers today-She's a high-powered exec for a major company.Decided to update her on the progress of the raised bed veg.production area that I manage apart from lawncare etc on an ex farm.So an extensive property really.Showed her the  broad beans bed which are in full flower now,she immediately guessed they were sweet peas,I gently put her right,and then she said-wow! I didnt realise they flowered....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I bet majority of the goverment  atm would be  the same.

Sometimes the stupidity or ignorance still surprises me also.

One thing iv'e noticed recently is some people who have no concept of the interaction of plants with weather/seasonality. Still watering plants when its just being raining and the grounds sodden because thats whats one does?  No concept of grass growing faster in spring than winter so might need cut more, &  that plants & veg  are controlled by seasons. Wondering why  tomatoes or apples etc aren't  ripe now etc if they can buy them in tesco?

Edited by Stere
  • Like 2

As for broad bean any  way to stop pea weevil? Sitona lineatus

They are reducing my yield alot I reckon as the grubs eat the roots apparently. Last few yrs really wrecked the beans compared to how they were previously.

Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer- (Nematode drench) applied as a root drench should deal with the larvae happily munching away at the roots and is food crop safe/approved too.The adults leaf edge nibbling habit is superficial and unimportant I would say.

I was asked about a month ago how my apple crop was doing, I just said it was looking good and I was about halfway through picking them. Their response was to say well done.

My missus put them right at that point.

• Like 1

The  Mrs "He hasnt been harvesting apples, hes been sneaking off to the allotment to piss about and brings back a bag of tescos gala apples and throws the wrapper in the bin when he thinks im not looking"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Not sure about that no references online saying it works on bean weevil?

I think a weevil is a weevil tbh,It certainly works on vine weevil larvae which are a massive problem on containerised plants.🤞

I think it would be a revelation to quite a lot of people that all fruit comes from flowers, and all flowers create some kind of fruit.

Being asked if it's safe to eat apples from a tree in their garden is a particular favorite of mine.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, sime42 said:

I think it would be a revelation to quite a lot of people that all fruit comes from flowers, and all flowers create some kind of fruit.

Being asked if it's safe to eat apples from a tree in their garden is a particular favorite of mine.

Also steak comes from a plastic vacuum pack don't it ?