Quad trailer for IBC cages

Muddy42

I have just got hold of 25 IBC cages to reduce the number of times I handle logs.  The idea being the logs get cut and loaded into the cage only once, they season in the cages and get unloaded straight into the log box or fire.

The cages work great on the Manitou, the problem is I have some areas of woodland where the Manitou would get stuck.  However I have a big 4 wheel drive quad with decent mud tyres that would be fine.  I already know it can tow the same weight of logs in a trailer - but if I do this, it involves double/triple handling!  I would like to drive the quad into the woods with an empty cage on the trailer and unload it full on my return.  BUT the quad trailer is one of those smaller agricultural boxes that is just too narrow by a few inches.

I was thinking of buying an beaten up 6x4 trailer and adapting/welding it to be a flat bed. It would be best to have to load as low as possible between the wheels, to reduce how much the logs need to be lifted in.  If required, I could move the axle stubs outwards. the trailer would not need to be legal for public roads, just off road.

Has anyone else done something similar? Any tips, gratefully received. Thanks

25 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

nope, you need to buy an IBC trailer, they make them for when people use as bowsers 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

<p>IBC Water Tank Trailer </p><br /><p>Heavy Duty Wheels and Tyres</p><br /><p>Heavy Duty Solid steel construction </p><br /><p>IBC Standard 1000litre included with...

Cheers, that picture is helpful, I can make that with the welder.  Water would be heavier and less stable than logs.

If you're going to make one, make one that carries 2 maybe. Keep it a simple frame/flatbed so if 2 is too heavy, the 1 can be strapped over the axle and the ends can be storage. 

An IBC cages of firewood will weigh about the same as one filled with water when unseasoned.

I use a rough terrain forklift around the yard and a full cage is about a ton, from experience don't move two at a time either.

Probably best to just make a hard standing or track, cuts down the moving but can take the weight for a normal trailer.

6 hours ago, AHPP said:

If you're going to make one, make one that carries 2 maybe. Keep it a simple frame/flatbed so if 2 is too heavy, the 1 can be strapped over the axle and the ends can be storage. 

Thanks, but I don't think I will.  I hate overloading quads (I think its really bad for them) and the distance isn't huge.

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

An IBC cages of firewood will weigh about the same as one filled with water when unseasoned.

I use a rough terrain forklift around the yard and a full cage is about a ton, from experience don't move two at a time either.

Probably best to just make a hard standing or track, cuts down the moving but can take the weight for a normal trailer.

I have hard standing for where the IBCs will sit, this trailer would be needed for woodland - I don't want tracks all over it and it would be impossible to predict where the next storm damage will hit anyway.

As you've already got a manitou, why not just buy a cheap semi scrap 3/4 ton agri trailer.

They have large tyres, dual axle would be preferable to spread the weight and a 4 ton would get atleast 4 at a time.

Anything road trailer wise will get stuck very quickly as they're like lawn tractor tyres.

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

As you've already got a manitou, why not just buy a cheap semi scrap 3/4 ton agri trailer.

They have large tyres, dual axle would be preferable to spread the weight and a 4 ton would get atleast 4 at a time.

Anything road trailer wise will get stuck very quickly as they're like lawn tractor tyres.

Trailer may not sink but Manitou will, that's why he is using Quad. 

4 hours ago, GarethM said:

I would doubt that. True most green wood hovers around 1m3 to the tonne but cut and split, then jumbled into  a 1000 litre container there will be 50% air space which will only weigh about 700 grams.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I would doubt that. True most green wood hovers around 1m3 to the tonne but cut and split, then jumbled into  a 1000 litre container there will be 50% air space which will only weigh about 700 grams.

That's how I store mine, not sure it's 50% air.

Plus an IBC is 1.2m3

image.jpg

Edited by GarethM