Copper Ash Tree trimming

Ciprian

Question

Hi guys

I have my 100 year old copper ash tree - but it needs a trim - shape. I am intending to have a 2m crown reduction but not sure if it's wise to do that or would it cause it to grow even bigger in the future. Some branches are overhanging into the neighbors garden and also is quite high now.

Also is June a good time to trim?

Thank you 17163694588863050506020905603162.thumb.jpg.d5401ea977d139715f4e0acf8afcbea6.jpgIMG_20240521_1326034.thumb.jpg.5a0d42dbcc947e656dc886f95ed81643.jpg17163693844978140570560441521824.thumb.jpg.21d0ddde9e8d29dcec8a375741d242ff.jpg

7 answers to this question

With due respect, I think you mean Copper Beech, not Ash.

Regarding the proposed reduction, I think it's safe to say that that is a controversial subject on here. If you did have one done it would make it smaller/neater, but only for a couple of years. Most trees, (and shrubs), tend to overcompensate following being cut like that, and grow back more and faster. The resulting growth can also often not be as "natural" looking, and not as healthy for the tree in the future.

Beech trees are inherently big, stately, good looking trees. (As such they're sometimes referred to as the Queen of Trees). I think you'll just have to accept that fact. Maybe consider having some Crown Lifting work done, rather than Crown Reduction. (Cut off some of the lowest limbs). This will let more light in and open up the view of outside the garden.

• Like 5

More of a purple beech, Fagus Sylvatica Purperea, but no matter.

I think a light trim could fit your requirements, beech don’t react very well to heavy pruning so a very sympathetic job is in order. You’d still keep the beauty of the tree but it’d be a less overwhelming.

Not every climber would be able to do a really top job, this type of work is some of the most difficult work one has to do in trees, so I’d do some research and pick one who really understands the remit.

• Like 4

having left a big sticky up bit and a big bulge on one 'corner' on a supposedly finished purple plum haircut the other day, I certainly won't be throwing my hat into the ring

I came up with the usual excuses about trees not being perfectly symmetrical and geometrical in nature, but on revisiting the garden a few weeks later I realized my pruning skills were only slightly better than the dreaded gypos

• Haha 2