Price for repairing saws

ChrisNewport

Most garages and repair places I've used tend to put something in their terms and conditions like 'parts remain the property of X until payment received in full'. If this guy doesn't pay then he doesn't own the parts I would say.

Issue him with a notice that you are taking him to the small claims court - that also might be enough to elicit payment.

Edited by Puffingbilly413

I would ask him how much he would pay and when he says something stupid like £?? return that offer saying well i will buy them off of you for £?? as that's all you think they are worth  and watch his face change .

Just strip the kit down and give him a box of bits. He thinks he is clever so he will be able to fix it easy seeing you have identified the issues. 

What the hell did he expect to pay...£20 and a six pack of McEwan's export???

• Like 4

A lot of convoluted answers.......just pay up or he doesn't get them back. Then put in writing payment must be made within 28 days of letter date, or the items will be sold at auction to recoup your costs. Send the letter recorded so you have proof they have received it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pleasant said:

A lot of convoluted answers.......

True , but all siding with the op . Your answer is the most sensible so far .  

• Like 1

On 19/05/2024 at 07:41, Stubby said:

True , but all siding with the op . Your answer is the most sensible so far .  

They are indeed. I cannot tolerate idiots who expect someone to work for nothing whilst they are happy to charge punters £400 a day. No use beating around the bush and pussyfooting with these chancers..tell them how it is and set out your stall like I have suggested (above) I've had these people in who agree to your quote for work, then when it's ready to collect they decide to change their minds and don't answer phones etc. I always have a standard letter for this kind of stuff which I can personalise for the relevant situation and send recorded delivery...then I follow the letter up a week before the 28 days expire with a phone call (which is recorded on our system) reminding them to collect and pay. If they say they can't get it on the expiry date I call their bluff and say 'no problem, I can take payment over the phone and I am happy to hold on to it until you get chance to call in' .....usually works. After all it's the money that's important to us and not the fact it hasn't been collected. If it's still not paid for or collected, then we can usually sell on...and sometimes for more profit. Just keep a paper trail of everything just in case a bloke turns up a year later to collect and wonders where his machine is and denies all knowledge of us contacting him and we have sold it.

At that point I hand over a copy of the correspondence etc and say, see you in court then if you want to go that route.

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 4

Fortunately, I never found myself in this position but I would take a part payment if the value of repairs including parts would push the repair bill above the market value of the saw especially if it was a new customer with no trading history.

As I said, the majority of fellas and companies I worked with were decent and happy I had given value for money and returned the kit in good time and working as it should. I never had any major problem...this guy sounds a bit of a dick!

• Like 2

Just curious, I guess the OPs customer is domestic / gardener / not a full time saw user and can afford to have the saws in the workshop while they argue about half the bill total. Might be wrong but if you depend on the saws to make a living then you'd pay up fairly straight away to get the saws back and profitable again?