That old chestnut, "what saw?"

difflock

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, GarethM said:

That poor DB just rusting in the undergrowth, the Meltham boys will be tracking you down for crimes against tractors 😉.

Sad(or even embarresed), but not offended Gareth.

Yes she is 40 years old, and could do wit some serious loving.

Now in my defence, I have never broken any glass about the cab.

And, Hey! I pure spoiled her wi them brand new  fat floaty tyres.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Folks,

Been looking at prices for MS261 or MS 400, with a nod to the MS362 to see what I missed in my "here and now" gun-at-my- head,  and hence uniformed purchase.(and concluded that, aside from the upfront ££ costs the 400 was more, like  .5 kW powerful than the 362 despite  the negligible  weight difference, yes?)

But since the 261 is now running a narrow(er) kerf 325 chain, how much does that less-wood-removed offset or compensate for its .5Kw lower power than the 362.

Gibber

Mutter

An

Twitch

Also

IMG_20240512_140323543_HDR.jpg

Edited by difflock

8 hours ago, difflock said:

Folks,

Been looking at prices for MS261 or MS 400, with a nod to the MS362 to see what I missed in my "here and now" gun-at-my- head,  and hence uniformed purchase.(and concluded that, aside from the upfront ££ costs the 400 was more, like  .5 kW powerful than the 362 despite  the negligible  weight difference, yes?)

But since the 261 is now running a narrow(er) kerf 325 chain, how much does that less-wood-removed offset or compensate for its .5Kw lower power than the 362.

Gibber

Mutter

An

Twitch

Also

After taking excellent advice on here regarding what to replace an 038 with, I bought a 400, and was over the moon with it. Still am. In fact, I was so pleased with it, that I bought it's cousin, the 261 to replace an accursed 251, which was just a huge disappointment after an 023, which died at over 25 years. I love the 261 even more than the 400, and you'd think I'd be over the moon with two lovely saws.                                  Problem is, I bought them the wrong way round. If I'd bought the 261 first, the 400 would have been a 462, cos the 261 is just so lovely to handle, and so capable and eager. It's oh so close to a 400, perhaps due to the lighter chain, I don't know.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Peter 1955 said:

If I'd bought the 261 first, the 400 would have been a 462, cos the 261 is just so lovely to handle, and so capable and eager. It's oh so close to a 400, perhaps due to the lighter chain, I don't know.  

And that is the " hookem " you can't have too many saws 😉

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Peter 1955 said:

After taking excellent advice on here regarding what to replace an 038 with, I bought a 400, and was over the moon with it. Still am. In fact, I was so pleased with it, that I bought it's cousin, the 261 to replace an accursed 251, which was just a huge disappointment after an 023, which died at over 25 years. I love the 261 even more than the 400, and you'd think I'd be over the moon with two lovely saws.                                  Problem is, I bought them the wrong way round. If I'd bought the 261 first, the 400 would have been a 462, cos the 261 is just so lovely to handle, and so capable and eager. It's oh so close to a 400, perhaps due to the lighter chain, I don't know.  

I like your analysis, and I hope I understood correctly, so my take is; the 261 is such a blinder of saw that will do most anything the average person/firewood/tree cutter needs, that the only other saw one could need, needs to be something seriously professional and powerful.

Like a 462 and upwards.

Me, I like light.

Even it it takes a tad longer to do the same cutting.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, difflock said:

I like your analysis, and I hope I understood correctly, so my take is; the 261 is such a blinder of saw that will do most anything the average person/firewood/tree cutter needs, that the only other saw one could need, needs to be something seriously professional and powerful.

Like a 462 and upwards.

Me, I like light.

Even it it takes a tad longer to do the same cutting.

You did understand correctly. I run mine with a 14" Stihl Light bar, and it's an animal with that on. Haven't put anything bigger on it, that's what the 400 is for. According to Stihl, the 261 will take an 18" bar, and I've seen people with 20" on it. How it runs with something like that on, I don't know, sorry. 

• Like 1