Online GCSE - any suggested providers?

Squaredy

19 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Going back to the beginning, I might be wrong but the option is history OR Computer Science / Latin, not take 4 GCSEs in total. The Boy likes all 3 of them.

Remembering back to how it worked when I was at School the subjects were in blocks, A, B, C, D.. ..or whatever and you could pick 1 from each block. Not every subject was in every block, I suspect the same applies here.... so History is in the same block as Latin / Computer Science, cannot take all 3 together. So how to do a history course outside of School.

Latin: which other languages you learn at school are not so important, French at 16 years old is fine but might be at 50 you work in Spain - however the ability to apply what learnt then is more important and help you learn in future life. Latin shares a lot of stuff with European languages, word structure, common words etc (Romans did that for us), so I would say probably as useful as any other language,

Latin doesn’t ‘share’ a lot of stuff with European languages, it is the root of the Romantic languages French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and (bizarrely) Romanian.

• Like 1

OK - share might be the wrong word here, but you get what I mean

(I'll add English in there too, considering our language has roots in French, German, the Nordic languages and of course Roman - all the people who have come here to live)

• Like 1

Isn't one Foreign language still compulsory, so he'll still be doing french/German or Spanish.

That's why I was asking for more information, all we've got is half a story so far.

Harrumphing they won't let the kid study two simultaneous subjects, do what most of us did and do the best you can and make up for it in college.

That's what shows employers and universities initiative and drive to actually do something, instead of daddy paying for extra attention.

2 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Isn't one Foreign language still compulsory, so he'll still be doing french/German or Spanish.

That's why I was asking for more information, all we've got is half a story so far.

Harrumphing they won't let the kid study two simultaneous subjects, do what most of us did and do the best you can and make up for it in college.

That's what shows employers and universities initiative and drive to actually do something, instead of daddy paying for extra attention.

Its not rocket science to understand is it honestly 🙃

Online GCSE - any suggested providers

7 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Its not rocket science to understand is it honestly 🙃

Online GCSE - any suggested providers

Ah yes the venerable degrees from the university of online Gambia and that petrol station behind the old cinema.

Though to be honest, saying "I did this as an extra subject" sets you ahead of the crowd regardless of where the ££ to pay for it came from, and if the boy is interested now then I think he should be encouraged.

Certainly do more courses later in life, but I don't know his aspirations - might be a university or college course when that extra GCSE at 16 will be a bonus to get in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GarethM said:

Are you intentionally thick or just a well practiced act?.

If you were in school in the 90s you are 50s, of which all your teachers would have retired 25 years ago. (That's 30years ago+average age of teacher 40+)

I'll put it simply, why don't you see if you're local school does it as the only ones are generally private grammar.

Lolwut?

Do you think there's a finite supply of Latin teachers? They didn't stop making them at the fall of the Roman Empire, and we've been running through the stock ever since... 

History teachers often double up, as do other humanities, to a lesser extent, as do other language teachers, also to a lesser extent. I know of one biology teacher who also taught Latin. There may be others.

I didn't want to sink to this level, but seeing as you are already down there with your opening statement, why the hell not. Many schools offer Latin only to the more academically gifted students. Maybe there's a reason you aren't aware of the availability of Latin in schools across the country.

• Like 1

@peds you can try the subtle underhanded name calling all you wish.

Whilst I'm no wonderkin, I've enough years of education, one below the wall art they call a degree and I even studied to be a teacher.

4 hours ago, GarethM said:

Are you intentionally thick or just a well practiced act?.

10 minutes ago, GarethM said:

@peds you can try the subtle underhanded name calling all you wish.

Thanks, I will, I'll keep it subtle from my side, Einstein. 👍