Using a Stihl 2 in 1 file has the rakers set too low

KeenButGreen

So I got a 2 in 1 file tool as I thought it might be idiot proof.  

but it seems my purpose in life is as a warning to others.  

while the chain is lovely and sharp, the rakers are far too low.  Bore cuts are impossible as the saw bounces around too much

and I don’t know how this has happened.  I guess Stihl have encountered a new kind of idiot. 

anyone any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? 

IMG_5385.jpeg

Edited by KeenButGreen
Idiocy

Stihl 2 in 1s need to be used level and not tilted.  Maybe you were tilting the file onto the rakers?  But this is one of the reasons I don't like 2 in 1s.  Sometimes the rakers get to low sometimes too high. Plus they stop you from seeing what's going on.

Buy a flat file and a raker guage specific to your chain.  Stihl do a complete set with round files too. You can use that chain for round file practice and if you take a few mm off with a round file, the teeth will be proportionate to the rakers again.  Watch a lot of youtube.

I'm no expert but the tooth looks wrong! the angle and shape of the right tooth looks strange. I also agree with Muddy42, get a sharpening kit and practice with that, the Stihl online instructions on how to sharpen a chain is very good. I thought that I could get a chain sharp but after the cross cutting course the instructors chains were silly sharp so I've now become OCD on hand filling, in the rare moments that I get it right it's worth the effort .

I'm a fan of the Stihl/Pferd 2 in 1, it let me sharpen 1/4 inch electric saw chain before I learnt the art of hand sharpening it. Can I ask a dumb question? Is the sharpener the right one for the chain? I agree the tooth shape looks odd.

• Like 1

very possible its the way youre holding it. easy to put unbalanced pressure on it

consider sharpening more often so its more of a touch up and less risk of this happening

the way to cut with that chain now is just apply zero pressure when cutting, even hold it back a bit.

it will race through anything soft

This 2 in 1  file is rubbish ,i have seen so many  destroyed chains it’s actually dangerous crap,  you don’t need lower rakers every time you touching a chain,anti kickback chains practically don’t need lovering rakers at all ,so I don’t recommend those 2in 1 to anyone,gimmick!Plus 4mm file is pretty flexible and not work well in that setup, in particular if you don’t know what you at!

They are a bit aggressive! I don’t think they are bad though, just keep the flat file off and put it back on when needed as suggested in the video, but I find they work fine when the flat files  and you have replaced the rounds. .