Stihl 181c cutting out when on its side

KeenButGreen

I got given a ~ 10 year old 181 that’s been sat around for an extended period.  A service kit and a carb kit got it going - it was initially a non-runner

Kind of…

It runs perfectly vertically - starts fine, cuts perfectly well when cross cutting etc

Until you put it on its side, like putting the back cut in when you’re felling a small tree - the saw gradually loses power.  Moving the body back to vertical gets it going again.

I *think* it’s because the fuel filter isn’t moving around inside the fuel tank but I don’t know just how ‘floppy’ the fuel line should be.  I definitely got the right service kit, so the fuel filter’s the right size.  

So would it likely be that the fuel line has hardened up and isn’t floppy anymore?  Does that happen?

Or is it more likely to be an issue with something in the carburettor that’s not pulling in fuel when it’s on its side?

Edited by KeenButGreen
Autocorrect …

• KeenButGreen changed the title to Stihl 181c cutting out when on its side

I would normally say it sounds like a bit of shyte in the carb gauze strainer but will assume that this was replaced in the carb overhaul.

If your saw has stood empty and unused for a long period, it is most likely the fuel line has hardened and isn't reaching the fuel when on its side. You could fill the tank fully and see if it still happens or just replace the fuel line and filter as matter of course and it will probably fix your issue.

It is possible the fuel line has a small split/crack in it but the above is probably the best option.

26 minutes ago, Ollie_M said:

fill the tank right up then try run it on its side straight away, if it runs then then its the pickup body not falling to the bottom

This is exactly what’s happening.  I just didn’t think the fuel line would harden up.  

Will get one on Monday….

Thanks 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so things have moved on

i changed the fuel rubbers but no change 

took it into a service centre and they say it’s the wrong fuel in it. 

I was using Aspen2(brand new).

Do Stihl chainsaws not like Aspen2? I was told it’s a direct replacement. Or am I opening a can of worms? 

Just now, KeenButGreen said:

Ok so things have moved on

i changed the fuel rubbers but no change 

took it into a service centre and they say it’s the wrong fuel in it. 

I was using Aspen2(brand new).

Do Stihl chainsaws not like Aspen2? I was told it’s a direct replacement. Or am I opening a can of worms? 

BS .

Get them to change the fuel to the "Correct fuel" while you are present and then make your mind up.

With machines like this, I usually strip the carb, check the gauze strainer, check and generally raise the needle metering arm like ADW said, make sure all the diaphragms are OK, change the fuel filter and sometimes remove the H&L screws and get a bit of carb cleaner down them. I would normally open the H&L screws another 1/2 turn on how they were set and then try it. 

Most saws will give in by then and work fine with just a final adjustment to get the revs right. 

Using Aspen may sometimes require a slight richening of the L screw but the "wrong fuel"....it isn't like you are loading it with coal is it.

• Like 1

If all else has been eliminated then possibly crank seals leaking. Using the saw on a different plane can cause loads to be transferred differently to when the saw is used in a cross cutting action, and can highlight a leak. Most often I see this with hedge cutters. Work fine until you try to use them on the side of a hedge and similar thing happens.

• Like 1