ash or beech stems for bowls

lfelton

Hi All and thanks for having me on your forum. 

May I pick your brains? I'm a wood turner (part time) and need ash or beech stems of 18"+ for salad bowls.

Is it practical to have only a few stems (say 2-10) delivered to me (I have a loader that can safely lift 750kg)? It's a smallholding with pretty good access.

Very roughly how much should I be looking to pay?

I currently buy through my local sawmills. Where else is worth contacting about this? Is it worth posting on this site (I am in Herefordshire)?

Thanks for any tips!

Can you collect from site? Transport your loader?

The price you pay will depend on if your local tree firm has to go through effort to deliver, or if you can save them work by collecting from site.

Plenty of folk would let you collect for free if it saved them dealing with it and you left a tidy site. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slack ma girdle said:

If you fancy a road trip out west, i have a couple of Beech stems that are 10' long and about 24" top diameter.

That's a bit far, but maybe? What kind of price (PM me if you prefer).

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

Can you collect from site? Transport your loader?

The price you pay will depend on if your local tree firm has to go through effort to deliver, or if you can save them work by collecting from site.

Plenty of folk would let you collect for free if it saved them dealing with it and you left a tidy site. 

Thanks Joe, I guess that might work if they didn't mind me chainsawing on site? I only have an Ifor 126 trailer, so couldn't fit the loader on side by side with any timber. Free sounds great, I'd definitely be turning up with a couple of crates of beer ;)

I guess more realistically, I'm happy to collect within an hours drive or so and happy to pay reasonable money.

11 hours ago, lfelton said:

Thanks Andy, would that be delivered or collected?

Really depends. I sometimes get a 10t bogie delivering me Larch or Elm. You'll pay a small premium for getting that size of delivery over an Arctic. I think I paid £700 for the last 10t bogie of Elm but there was maybe 6-7t in it. 

• Like 1

I would approach some firewood sellers locally.  They will get bulk loads delivered and have the kit onsite to load your ifor.

In addition they might keep an eye out for logs that have a bit of character that you could earn more from with your wood turning.

• Like 1