Stihl 038 not starting mystery

Olddevonstihls

All I can say is..."I did say" .....the times I have heard....It has compression9_9

It did look like the top ring location pin had come out in one of your pics but the damage is obviously from the circlip tang. Make sure the part isn't in your main bearings.

You will need a new cylinder and piston. My first choice is OEM if you can get hold of one, followed by Meteor, followed by Hyway (use OEM circlips) and then you get down to VEC/GOLF and then no brand. Use Stihl circlips on all but the Meteor kit.

When you reassemble the bottom end, make sure you "de-stress" the bearings. Don't sent them on a spa weekend but do bash the crank on both ends with a copper mallet a couple of times. You will notice the crank will rotate much more smoothly after doing this. Failure to do it will damage the bearings.

The bloke in Greece is a good seller...something like "Danicrop" but called Leo I believe.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, spudulike said:

When you reassemble the bottom end, make sure you "de-stress" the bearings. Don't sent them on a spa weekend but do bash the crank on both ends with a copper mallet a couple of times. You will notice the crank will rotate much more smoothly after doing this. Failure to do it will damage the bearings.

Once helped to replace universal joints in a huge sugar beet harvester drive wheel. When we put it back together, we could barely turn it by hand, I was worried. Fortunately, one of us was a very experienced agricultural fitter, who performed exactly the procedure described, and it then spun like a dream. I'd never seen this before, I was very impressed. 

• Like 1

Personally I'd give that a rub over with a file or stone to make sure nothing is sticking proud, and crack on. Can't see the amount of material removed being very significant to strength or balance, not like it's the spot where they fatigue crack.

Looks like he has renamed his trading name but that is the fella alright. Usually takes around a week to come in the post.

One point - the 038 came in several variants with different size pistons - not a problem if you are purchasing a complete top end kit though.