Compost heaps-the ideal.

Trailoftears

16 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

I'm asked time and time again-'how do we keep cats out of our garden'.Whist I (internally) suggest air rifles/gin traps-My general diplomatic answer is-you can't.I do know how to stop them crapping in your prize tubs containing tulip bulbs/baby bedding plants-short wiggly lengths of barbed wire (try burying that tigger),or perhaps more humanely short holly sprigs set vertically.Some Years ago you used to be able to buy bags of Lion poo-now I BET that put the fear of God into them!

Trap the cats with food and dump the cage trap in a bucket of water was one person's advice to me on how to stop cats....

In Australia obviously as they are not allowed to roam free .

• Like 1

Pet fox. The wild one stopped one cat. Careful consideration of the culprit (for example, I had one regularly go on the front lawn, put a 1m strip of pine branches along the edge, it stopped. Removed 1m lengths of this hedge till it started again - that was the path it used - then just planted a gooseberry bush hedge along there and it was cured). Spiky stuff in the flowerbeds.. but you spike your hands digging.

CatAway scarer does pretty well. Human (and male) pee does OK

2 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Pet fox. The wild one stopped one cat. Careful consideration of the culprit (for example, I had one regularly go on the front lawn, put a 1m strip of pine branches along the edge, it stopped. Removed 1m lengths of this hedge till it started again - that was the path it used - then just planted a gooseberry bush hedge along there and it was cured). Spiky stuff in the flowerbeds.. but you spike your hands digging.

CatAway scarer does pretty well. Human (and male) pee does OK

Allot to be said for Ozzy rules.

You can fined if your cat trespasses onto another property

Edited by Botty Cough

24 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Rubbish

Prove me wrong,.

requirements for cat owners

Cat sitting in-between the railings on staircaseThe law aims to protect animals from neglect and cruelty and to protect the community from animals becoming a nuisance or danger.

If you don't comply with legal requirements such as microchipping and registration you can be fined.

Check with your council to see if they have any local laws that may require cats to be desexed or to be kept on their owner's property during certain hours.

Under animal cruelty legislation, if you mistreat or fail to properly care for your cat you can be prosecuted and face:

• fines
  • jail
  • ban on owning an animal.

Trespass and nuisance

If your cat is found wandering off your property and is not identified, it can be seized and impounded. You may have to pay a fine when reclaiming your cat from the Council pound.

If your cat (even if it is identified) wanders onto another person's property more than once, it may be seized and impounded. Council can issue an order to stop your cat trespassing and if you don't comply you can be fined.

Some Councils require cats to be confined to their owner's property during certain hours. Others prohibit or restrict cats in some places. Check with your local council to see if these requirements apply in your area.

Edited by Botty Cough

5 hours ago, Trailoftears said:

I'm asked time and time again-'how do we keep cats out of our garden'.Whist I (internally) suggest air rifles/gin traps-My general diplomatic answer is-you can't.I do know how to stop them crapping in your prize tubs containing tulip bulbs/baby bedding plants-short wiggly lengths of barbed wire (try burying that tigger),or perhaps more humanely short holly sprigs set vertically.Some Years ago you used to be able to buy bags of Lion poo-now I BET that put the fear of God into them!

Sad to say that Lion poo doesn't really work. I tried it a few years back. I've a friend who is a zoo keeper, she worked with big cats for a while so brought me some. It reduced the activity for a day or so, but all effectiveness was lost as soon as it rained.

The only politically correct thing that works for any length of time is wire netting. Laid on the ground; they hate to walk on it apparently.

4 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Sad to say that Lion poo doesn't really work. I tried it a few years back. I've a friend who is a zoo keeper, she worked with big cats for a while so brought me some. It reduced the activity for a day or so, but all effectiveness was lost as soon as it rained.

The only politically correct thing that works for any length of time is wire netting. Laid on the ground; they hate to walk on it apparently.

Connected to a 12v battery? 👍

• Haha 1

Naughty=ecxrement from meat-eating animals.Meat/fish waste (rats)-tho they turn up and birth in some hard winters anyway.Perennial weeds-anything with a tap root is a no-no.apricot/peach stones.Eggshells hang around for ages,unless crushed first.Teabags-usually plastic cased now.Stuff thats really woody-cabbage/broccoli stems etc-though ok if you crush them up with a mower/lawn tractor.so-called biodegradable plastic bags.I think they are the main offenders?