Is it just me?

Peter 1955

1 minute ago, doobin said:

You can get an 18” picco bar for the 261. I like it, I prefer picco to 325 for that size saw. Although some of the newer low profile .325 chains are very nice, they are pricey whereas a roll of Rotatech picco chain is not and it fits all my smaller saws. 

I agree,there does seem to be a bit of sniffiness about rotatech chains,in my experience -its absolutely fine.Bloody hell,its getting to the stage where occasionall users just 'dump'their chains when blunt!Tiz wasteful tho,when you get say,10 odd resharpens out of a chain? If I MUST put  25" chains thru 20 plus big tree stumps,I feel far happier using cheaper chains. 

23 hours ago, Trailoftears said:

They are old stock now,but if you can find one-Stihl used to offer a kit,only in 16" for the 260/261.2 picco 3/8 bars/2 rims plus 3 picco super chains as a performance kit,they were sub £80 when I bought one,so really good value.Tho the bar was a standard rollomatic bar it was the same weight as the light 04 bar.

Heck, I'm telling porkies (again),the performance kit was 1 bar,1 rim sprocket and 3 chains-I forgot,they were such good value,I bought 2,1@£80 then 1@£60-it seemed silly not to at those prices.But perhaps the interesting point that EVEN on a 16" bar the unspoken admission from Stihl was that the the torquey ms261 could be better.The gauge was still 1.3mm but the bars were q.narrow nosed and light,the chains were picco super rapid,so fairly aggressive with a pitch of 3/8 l.p.,with I think,a lower tooth number than the usual setup.So I think that qualifies as a gentle semi-skip setup to maximise performance? 🤔

On 18/03/2024 at 18:46, Stubby said:

The best and most accurate explanation so far . When you think about it it is just common sense  . 

Canada has since really taken up the torch from the US. Though they actually do more overall logging stateside, Canada still has more untouched wilderness. Still, it's all the northwest, or PNW as we say. We're all the same team, and we all use the same equipment.

Edited by wyk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, wyk said:

Canada has since really taken up the torch from the US. Though they actually do more overall logging stateside, Canada still has more untouched wilderness. Still, it's all the northwest, or PNW as we say. We're all the same team, and we all use the same equipment.

I used to be friends with two brothers that were fallers in Canada . Lee and Jake Laduciure  . They used to send me " west coast " type saws for me to sell on here in the UK . It must have been 20 years ago now. I couldn't work as I was recovering from a motorcycle accident . Not heard from them in a long time now . Hope they are ok .

• Like 1

Bjarne showing you how they work in Canada(looks like a 592 with a 36in bar):

And one of my favourite one of his - worth it for the intro, but go to 22:00 for the interesting bit:

Edited by wyk
  • Like 2