MSA161T Not oiling

Gordon S

Hi All,

This looks like a common issue but I'm confused.

My Stihl MSA161T has stopped oiling.

It has a rubber worm gear around the motor that has become detached.

Has anyone had any success replacing these? It looks a pain to stick it back on straight. What adhesive would work?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

many thanks

Gordon

1 hour ago, adw said:

I saw one of these, thought it was an awful idea, I just glued it back on, I don’t think you can buy it as a spare part.

Thanks,

I think the ring is fine but you can buy it separately, it looks like it does just need gluing.

Did you use epoxy or something else?

We had a customer who kept coming back with his for oiling issues. I believe they've updated the pump or the worm(I can't remember which) he got it changed and the saw hasn't been back

Just to complete the circle on this issue for anyone else who has the same problem.

The plastic worm gear attached to the motor detaches and just hangs loose on the motor.

As said previously if the gear is ok it can be stuck back, it just needs lining up with the raised sections on the motor.

Mine was damaged, so there is a replacement kit available from Stihl for about £18. It has the worm gear, motor shaft circlip and a spacer to get the gear lined up correctly on the motor.

Lots of swearing and self tappers later all is good, I love the saw but this has made me lose confidence in it!

• Like 1