Chainsaw for small woodland

KeenButGreen

On 26/02/2024 at 17:07, KeenButGreen said:

The management plan for our small woodland ( a couple of acres) is in and we’re looking for a chainsaw to take on the bigger trees.   The wood is mainly overstood hazel coppice (20+years) which we’re looking to turn into short rotation stands.  The rest is planted oak/ash - we’re leaving the dominant trees but need to thin out the sub dominants and whips and dying ash.  There’s nothing massive - all under the 380mm I did the course on.  

I’ve just done the CS30/31 chainsaw tickets with a STIHL 251c and am looking for advice on whether this is a good saw to buy, is it overkill and are there any equivalents I should look at?  

We’re looking at petrol not battery 

Any thoughts/comments appreciated

It depends on your specific needs. The STIHL 251c is a solid choice, offering reliability and power. For lighter tasks, you might consider  STIHL MS 180 or MS 211. Husqvarna also offers comparable models like the Husqvarna 435 or 440. Check on them too.

57 minutes ago, Hangolup said:

It depends on your specific needs. The STIHL 251c is a solid choice, offering reliability and power. For lighter tasks, you might consider  STIHL MS 180 or MS 211. Husqvarna also offers comparable models like the Husqvarna 435 or 440. Check on them too.

I would always go husky for a small area and coppicing.

Stihl are for grunting..

• 2 weeks later...

Being a a non professional user I feel anything over 50cc becomes a bit of a handful after a while of using them. The saw I use for most work is a old and abused Stihl MS180, from everything from hedge trimming up to  18" seasoned Ash/Beech and Oak, and small scale milling of posts etc, waiting for it to blow up but to be honest it just gets stronger. But for looking after a wood I would use my Stihl MS240 with a 15" bar, feels as light and easy as the 180 but in a totally different class when cutting. So my vote would be the Stihl MS241 or the Husky version of it.