Starting a business at 21?

Rory hynes

Hello everyone.

looking for some advice !

im 20 years old.  Been climbing for 2 1/2 years now but feel it’s my time to do my own thing soon.

any advice for someone going into business for the first time ?

im looking at just getting a small pickup tipper and older tow behind.

any advice or help would be appreciated greatly!

thanks !

Good luck!

My advice is to try not to burn any bridges with your old employer or any other established companies in your area.

Sub~contracting for others is a good way of filling your week till you can get your own client base built up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Good luck!

My advice is to try not to burn any bridges with your old employer or any other established companies in your area.

Sub~contracting for others is a good way of filling your week till you can get your own client base built up.

Cheers mick,

much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Good luck!

Spot on advise. I’ve done a similar thing a few years ago, and keeping on good terms with local companies and my old employer has been massively beneficial in terms of subbing to them if you have days to fill. 

If possible, don’t saddle yourself with loads of finance. It will add a lot of stress and pressure that you don’t need, you can get decent 2nd hand kit and pay for it outright with a bit of saving! 

• Like 1

Learn to say no. As a subbie you will be brought in to deal with dangerous/ difficult trees that they don't want to do.

Always ask questions,  you will be amazed at what gems you pick up from the most unexpected sources .

Don't take on debt unless you are very sure.

• Like 3

Work out what your running costs are and % profit needed for the business, then price jobs accordingly. Dont fall into the trap of being a "busy fool". Get a good accountant, they may seem expensive, but a decent one will save you more money than they cost. Be upfront and don't be afraid to put your foot down with clients. Best of luck, 21 is a great age to start your own operation 👍

• Like 4

My 2p on the topic would be to go travel the world mate. You’ve got skills and experience and most importantly age on your side. You can set up your own business when you’re 30. What’s the rush to do it now? As much as I applaud the drive and ambition which is lacking from most people your age nowadays, if I was in your shoes I’d be heading to Aus to earn double the money. Go broaden your skills and enjoy your 20s. 

• Like 6

My advice would be to really work on your people and communication skills. I'm not even close to the best tree person in my area but the ability to really understand what customers want, explain what's good for the tree and letting them make a balanced compromised decision is worth it's weight. We get so many good reviews from people who really appreciate that.

I would also say it's going to cost way more to run it than you think. In reality, for a two man team, you need to be taking £500-800/day. 

And also as someone who set a business up in my 20s I would probably agree with the previous comment and I'd travel about first. Once it's up and running it's a real big thing to leave it and go somewhere else. If I had my time again I would do more subbing in more places before starting. It's kind of like doing lots of fun dating before you finally settle down. 

• Like 2

I second Bocca's thoughts up there. There's ads on here all the time for jobs around the world, usually offering help with visas, accommodation, the works. 21 is a great age to get out and see the planet, you're old enough for people to think about taking you seriously, but still young enough to get away with all sorts of things. 

Your hometown will still be there in 3, 5, 10 years time... and you'll have a whole pile of stories to tell.

It's not for everybody, some people prefer to put their roots down quickly, but I shudder to think of the things I'd have missed out on if I didn't go walkabout when I was younger. 

• Like 1

• Steve Bullman changed the title to Starting a business at 21?