Question: Old Petrol in a New Saw

MarkBugs

First post, and I know likely a common topic, but possibly a little different...

Im looking to buy a used Echo top handle chainsaw, that is almost entirely new. It had never been run through wood, only started up once and left. Only issue is the chainsaw was left with petrol in it for a year and a half. (I'm in Canada, so we'll call it gas for fellow Canadians and Americans)

What do you guys think? I drained the old fuel and ran it with new fuel, let it idle for a little while, all seems okay off first inspection. I'm getting a really good deal on it- so I'm tempted to buy. Am I taking on a big risk? Is it likely to be badly damaged? 

Any help is appreciated. Again first post- sorry if I'm breaking any rules

4 hours ago, MarkBugs said:

First post, and I know likely a common topic, but possibly a little different...

Im looking to buy a used Echo top handle chainsaw, that is almost entirely new. It had never been run through wood, only started up once and left. Only issue is the chainsaw was left with petrol in it for a year and a half. (I'm in Canada, so we'll call it gas for fellow Canadians and Americans)

What do you guys think? I drained the old fuel and ran it with new fuel, let it idle for a little while, all seems okay off first inspection. I'm getting a really good deal on it- so I'm tempted to buy. Am I taking on a big risk? Is it likely to be badly damaged? 

Any help is appreciated. Again first post- sorry if I'm breaking any rules

You have done what I would have done . Except I would have used an Alkylate fuel .

• Like 1

I dont disagree with the previous comments. Although as a matter of course i would hook out the fuel filter and change that for new and whilst doing that i would inspect the pick up pipe for cracking/crumbling.

I am no expert on what fuel grades are used in canada but if it were the uk and fuel had been left in the tank that long the ethanol in the fuel would have begun to compromise the integrity of the hose and the filter. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MarkBugs said:

I'm getting a really good deal on it- so I'm tempted to buy. Am I taking on a big risk? Is it likely to be badly damaged? 

I wouldn't be worried about the fuel, but more the saw in general - ie is it stolen?

@Stubby @Vedhoggar Luckily enough I had some Aspen fuel here, so that was the fuel I ran through after dumping the old tank. The previous owner used a Premium fuel which could have potentially been ethanol free depending on which gas station he used. Or worst case scenario <10% ethanol. 

@pleasant Appreciate the advice, I'll do that today. You can still find some places selling ethanol free fuel, I just don't know what he used. 

@scbk Luckily I know the owner, backed out of tree work because of injury- so I know exactly where it came from. He even has the receipt. Biggest concern is condition of the saw

Thanks for the help guys!

• Like 2