Ms 361

RobG 86

Good morning, looking for some advice on my Stihl MS261. It’s not that old or done that much work probably about 15 hours but I always have trouble starting it. Takes me between eight and ten attempts to get it going, but when it goes it’s not a problem and starts first time once warm.  changed fuel filter air filter and spark plug with fresh fuel made sure it’s in summer or winter mode is there anything I can do to try and get it started better? Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Sorry maybe a basic question, but do you use the decompression valve and the choke?  Does it start any easier with aspen?

No, very good point. Sorry I didn’t add that in my post.  I use the decompression and eventually it starts and yes choke is on, no difference it fuel I mix or aspens. Thanks. 

I'd take it back personally, even ice old it's 2/3 pulls max. Have you checked the needle bearing, just wondering if it's been over tensioned on the chain?.

If you're emptying the tank, they can be a bit of a bugger tho.

Edited by GarethM

If you are using the correct starting practice and lets face it, the Mtronic 261 is really pretty fool proof as you either are full choke to start on cold and just the run setting to start when hot, then it should be back to the dealer as it sounds like it has an issue. 2-3 pulls is pretty typical on this machine. 

You can try not using the decomp and see if it helps.

Personally I hate decomp valves. We get far to many customers coming with saws, saying they won't start. 90% of them have the valve pushed in, pop it back out and they either start straight away or they've been flooded, and start with minimal effort. With the valve pushed in, it needs to be pulled over quicker to make up for the lack of compression. It might be a reason Husqvarna have taken it off some of the 5 series saws.