Looking for help on a job. Need 2nd climber and groundie. County Durham.

biggimmer

Hi all,

I'm just a one man band at present but have potentially been given a job where I need some help!

A row of large sycamore beech and an oak need pollarding down to 6 meters. 

So I'm looking for a 2nd climber and a groundie who is good on the ropes! Decent day rates and probably around 5 days work. Work to start asap - as soon as I've located the required help.

Let me know if this sounds of interest to you.

If they won’t take my advice they won’t be my customer.

’If I do that to your beech it will die.’

’I don’t care what you think, just do it anyway.

It will be really good for your professional reputation.’

• Like 2

Last time I was asked to half some trees I pointed out that taking them down would be a similar cost because we can spike up and take all those annoying branches off at the bottom first rather than having to not break any of them.

Result - remove 3 keep 3.

Anyway , we can't see the trees. Maybe the beech is only 7m tall?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

If they won’t take my advice they won’t be my customer.

’If I do that to your beech it will die.’

’I don’t care what you think, just do it anyway.

It will be really good for your professional reputation.’

Tell me something else I don't know.....

The bloke doesn't care if they die and for your information I have told him all of the above....

• Thanks 1

I had a job to quote maybe 10 years ago, mature spready oak, end of a garden, guy wants it down to 4/5 metres, leaving no leaf, just a forked stem.

I said it’ll probably die, he says he doesn’t care, the trunk blocks something he doesn’t want to see, the canopy blocks light to his chicken house or whatever, he’s 85 if it dies it’s not going to be his problem.

Its a days work, good money, so I do it. I’m happy, he’s happy.

Anyway I was pricing near there this week so I went down the little lane and had a look. 
What purpose would have been served if I’d refused the work?

IMG_1165.jpeg

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

arbtalk.co.uk, 2034.

A recent emigre Brit arborist trying to make his way in France starts a thread asking for advice on what to do with an oak tree that was "pollarded" 20 years ago. He can't afford a hover mewp or a drone saw, and he isn't sure about climbing above the new growth points to trim it back down.

"That isn't a pollard," comes the first reply. "It's a very tall coppice job."

"Just tie all the new leaders together and anchor off them, there's strength in numbers." the second reply follows. 

"How tall is your ladder?" asks the third commenter.

Mick Dempsey, a faint smile playing at the corners of his lips, leans back in his chair and takes a sip of crisp white wine, nodding contentedly. "La grande roue continue de tourner..."

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I had a job to quote maybe 10 years ago, mature spready oak, end of a garden, guy wants it down to 4/5 metres, leaving no leaf, just a forked stem.

I said it’ll probably die, he says he doesn’t care, the trunk blocks something he doesn’t want to see, the canopy blocks light to his chicken house or whatever, he’s 85 if it dies it’s not going to be his problem.

Its a days work, good money, so I do it. I’m happy, he’s happy.

Anyway I was pricing near there this week so I went down the little lane and had a look. 
What purpose would have been served if I’d refused the work?

IMG_1165.jpeg

I hear you Mick, and sometimes you’ve just got to shrug, mutter ‘It’s your funeral’, fire up the saws and take the money.

I have refused plenty of jobs where the spec was utterly ridiculous locally though.

I don’t want to be known as a clueless twat who doesn’t understand trees and leaves them looking really awful or dead.

Well, not better known than I already am, anyway.

• Like 1