Help with old fruit trees

ClueLess60

Question

Hopefully someone with far more experience than myself can advise.

My garden has some apple and pear trees, some of which were in an overgrown state when I moved in due to the last owner passing away.

I started the process of slowly pruning the trees a little at a time when I moved to the property 3 years ago, although I didn’t get some of them done last year due to ill health.

Some trees are probably only around 5 to 6 years old and seem to be in good order, and I have pruned these for 3 years and seem to have them under control. The more mature trees, however, have severe brown rot, not only to most of the fruit produced but also, I believe, nearly all of the branches, even the really major ones. I have read a lot on the subject, so I have been careful to clear the affected fruit and remove it from the site.

I am giving serious consideration to cutting everything down just to leave the stumps, with a view to hoping something viable and fruiting will re-grow. One reason for this would be to try and protect the other immature trees from catching it, as they currently seem to be disease-free. The second reason, they are rather large for the part of garden anyway.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by ClueLess60

1 hour ago, nepia said:

And out of interest, why cardboard? Does it have some magical properties?

Apparently it is magic:  many say that worms love the glue!  Mainly though the cardboard kills the grass

And it's free from most shops trying to get rid of it. IKEA flatpack boxes are the best though.

• Like 1

The answers so far are very much appreciated, everybody. Some more help is required please.

Having discussed it with the with the other half, it has been decided to remove the old trees altogether and replace them with the samplings planted in the border by the previous owner. Partly because of the brown rot they are inflicted with, but mainly because of the amount of room the current larger trees take up.

As can be seen in the attached photo, where the saplings were planted near a beech hedge, which grew out of control while the property was unoccupied, they have grown with the branches to one side as they were searching for light.

I’m wondering whether this may correct itself if I were to plant them with the branches pointing north, as presumably (I hope) they will be more inclined to straighten themselves out a bit as more of the light will be coming from the south. Or am I expecting too much?

IMG_3865.jpeg

You can still often  rectify the form of a tree that young by pegging branches down  with string & using a  stake  to straighten it up gradually with a ratchet strap, combined with some pruning.

I’m wondering whether this may correct itself if I were to plant them with the branches pointing north, as presumably (I hope) they will be more inclined to straighten themselves out a bit as more of the light will be coming from the south. Or am I expecting too much?

Could also work but a risk root loss will set the trees back if root ball isn't large enough. Trees may also need the extra of care watering the following summer.

Maybe you could try both ways as you say have several trees.

Trees on the more dwarf rootstocks that are increasingly popular now tend too keel over alot more readily, than the older traditional larger rootstocked trees esp when the exta fruit load is on youngish trees hence need more supporting.