Problems with Trespassers, Fly tippers & Poachers?

Johnboysevern

3 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

A bit harsh although I agree, what @Johnboysevern is doing on their land is irrelevant. If someone is using a shotgun on their property without permission then thats illegal (and a police matter) regardless of the land use.

I am curious about the sporting rights, when I bought my property it wasn't straight forward to know if sporting rights were held as it isn't common to have any mention in the deeds. 

I have also come across people who claim to have been given permission by someone many years ago etc which is why I suggest asking locally.

You mention your neighbours are sheep farmers, do you know if they want foxes controlled? It could be someone has controlled them for years and assumes they can still access your wood.

Could be one of the Farmers wanting Fox control but then should there Pest control stick to the farmers land to shoot foxes? The Local Fox hunt have respected our wishes and no longer enter the woods.

4 hours ago, GarethM said:

We don't really care, if you wanting to try and brag your definitely in the wrong place.

You were Questioning the Sporting Rights ownership & I was Answering you as obviously think we don't own them when we Do as its was part of the Purchase of the Free Hold Each woodland owner have the Sporting & Mineral Rights to there Woodland Plot Here.

The only Problem our Solicitor found was the access from the road to the Private woodland Track or the Splay I think he called it. He had to clarify if we had access rights across this small area before we could Purchase the wood. As it would be pointless Buying the Wood if we could not cross the land from the road to the woodland track.

In the Paperwork there were some Restrictions on Land use i.e No Motor Sports of any kind to take place on the land , No Commercial Campsites.  Shared Maintainace of all track subject to usage and you had to keep the track clear of obstruction.you are not allowed to divide up the land for sale as must be sold as a hole when selling the land & Not allowed to rent out any parts of the land. All conditions of the Syndicate agreement. 

There are No Known Fencing Liabilities, It comes with Sporting Rights & Mineral rights as a free hold property. The Access Track is Private and there is No Public access inside the woodland. 

The latter is one of the reasons we bought the wood.

When looking to buy a wood.

Some of the woods we looked at before buying this one in Wales has other restrictions and I did see some where the sporting & mineral rights were retained buy the seller. One closer to home did not Allow shooting on the land at all. Some were also Lease Hold & Not Free Hold. So you have to read through the Details properly with a fine tooth comb before buying a wood. And have a good Solicitor check over the details before you buy.

Adjacent to the woodland we share with other woodland owners we have a commercial plantation owned by NRW which is looked after by a Forestry management company. So we do get Heavy Logging Traffic that use the track on a regular basis so they pay for most of the track repairs as they use it the most.   

"Paul in the Woods" Thanks for the advice on the Camera I defiantly will have to move some of my Wildlife cams and use them for Security why did I not think of that Lol 🙂 As you say hopefully it will help in finding out who is the Culprits causing our problems and then can pass on more evidence to the Police. Cheers👍 

1 hour ago, Johnboysevern said:

Could be one of the Farmers wanting Fox control but then should there Pest control stick to the farmers land to shoot foxes? 

I'm not defending the trespasser just suggesting who it might be and offering a solution. Working with your neighbours is often best.

Do you have a rural police contact? I went to a presentation given by our one and he openly admitted poaching is often not taken seriously. You may get some advice from yours and they may tell you how serious they will take it.

But it is worth remembering many crimes don't get much of a response. There's plenty of people who have equipment needed for work stolen who dont get much help so you may not get much sympathy here. 

On the other hand, perhaps your poacher will shoot your fly tipper.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

Do you have a rural police contact? I went to a presentation given by our one and he openly admitted poaching is often not taken seriously. You may get some advice from yours and they may tell you how serious they will take it.

Depends on the value of what is being taken, poaching for 'sport' - foxes, rabbits, wild birds is perhaps seen differently to poaching on stocked area of ground, grouse pheasants and so on which have a financial loss to the owner. Foxes don't.