Please help save my tree

Fadene

Hi Peds - will take more photos, thank you so much for your detailed reply. I’ll look up how to undertake all those steps, definitely remove the lights and hope for the best. 

Hi Steve - thanks a lot too for the reassurance and the time. He was only meant to be doing the fence but got very trigger happy with a very powerful and unfortunately not lidl brand washer and thought he would remove algae from the tree too 😔 only took a couple minutes for the bark to change colour like that. 

Thank you all again.

Here is a view of the tree from upstairs, I guess from amateur eyes it seemed like the same tree. I tried to zoom on the leaves too, one from the right side and one left. Are they two different trees / species? Thank you!

I think it two different species of trees.  The strawb tree may well survive doesn't look completely ring barked but the the outer bark layer is damaged etc.

The other tree looks like a bay tree perhaps but the  pics are bad so its  hard to say?

The type of bark on the strawberry tree looks like it could heal better than some  other tree species that have bark that peels off completely down the the cambium in one layer.

Moss &  lichen etc on trees bark etc  are best left alone.

Had a few similar cases were people often think its harming there trees in some way.

One  bloke who spent days every yr with a scrubbing brush  cleaning lichen off an orchard of apples trees.

There is  is some   old fashioned  traditional idea to "winter wash"  fruit trees to supposedly control aphids/pests.  

But I have  come across people cleaning all kinds of other rdm garden trees. but not with pressure washers but with with a  scrubbing brushes & bleach etc... 🤨

• Like 1

Thank you very much Stere - not sure of the mentality behind cleaning the trees, I definitely would have left them in peace!

Having just investigated it does seem like the leaves are different but they are so overlapped it’s hard to see where one starts and ends. Here are a few more pics:

FD78FD3D-0E16-48C2-81C7-70BE4C34B248.thumb.jpeg.068e8f1eb9ab2e7f3dfa3b5d78d549c9.jpeg61141F0C-53EB-4E31-84F7-752D952F52CC.thumb.jpeg.78c8da0f95f05f4a73dcc5bea59e001b.jpeg244CD9CA-F262-45EB-97BA-88304754DFA0.thumb.jpeg.931b30289a3d05a13e131bb82b330ce4.jpeg982D2169-80A6-436F-8970-24B7F630316E.thumb.jpeg.dacdca718c5da781e6d882011b098422.jpeg

6B231081-7005-4FA5-8639-E4D5E81C20B6.jpeg

2 hours ago, Stere said:

Had a few similar cases were people often think its harming there trees in some way.

I had a customer once who'd lopped off all the branches that were "diseased" - then I was supposed to reshape what was left.

Showed her lichen on some other trees in the garden, lovely lady she was, singing teacher.

• Like 1

I agree they look like two different species of tree. The pale one on the right looks like my mature strawberry tree and the bark doesn't look too bad to me. With mine I removed a thicket of brambles and roses from the base and the bark looked quite pale. The tree has survived and sent up shoots from the base and along the stems, it seems quite hardy.

I would also remove the lights if you wish to keep the trees.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Other tree is different.

Personally I think the tree will be fine, but only time will tell.

In future only have your tree cleaned by professional tree cleaners.

I have washed a clump of Himalayan Birch to bring out their whiteness in front of a recently trimmed Leylandii  hedge ....looked great ...climbed them with a bucket of soapy water !!

• Like 1