Pricing help please

doobin

Depends on how desperate you are for the sale. I charge high and miss out on some sales but Id sooner do that than sell cheap. 

Id charge a premium for 4.8m over the 3.6m. Personally Id want £100 for the 4.8 and £70 for the 3.6m. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doobin said:

6" x 5" beams, either 3.6 or 4.8m. Douglas or larch. 10 of.

i have both in my yard, what should I be charging per m for that section timber?

As Andy says it depends on how much you want the sale.  Are these beams that you sell lots of or are they ones you would be really glad to see the back of?

If I were cutting them for a customer I would charge £50 for the 3.6 and £80 for the 4.8.  What always worries me about long beams is they are rarely straight.  If the customer is OK with that then no problem.  But if the customer expects the beam to be perfectly straight 4.8m, then you could have problems.  Ideally have the customer inspect the beams first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

As Andy says it depends on how much you want the sale.  Are these beams that you sell lots of or are they ones you would be really glad to see the back of?

If I were cutting them for a customer I would charge £50 for the 3.6 and £80 for the 4.8.  What always worries me about long beams is they are rarely straight.  If the customer is OK with that then no problem.  But if the customer expects the beam to be perfectly straight 4.8m, then you could have problems.  Ideally have the customer inspect the beams first.

The beams are currently sawlogs, so I’m not wed to them! Just wanted an idea on realistic pricings. 

It’s an odd order because they’ve asked for 38m worth of it. Usually beams are individual sizes as you know. 

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Depends on how desperate you are for the sale. I charge high and miss out on some sales but Id sooner do that than sell cheap. 

Id charge a premium for 4.8m over the 3.6m. Personally Id want £100 for the 4.8 and £70 for the 3.6m. 

It’s ok, I know he’s been let down and wants them by the end of the week 😉

Ten of these at 3.6m should be doable in an afternoon from the size sawlogs I have. So at £70 that would be £700, or around £600 after timber costs. Sounds good to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, doobin said:

It’s ok, I know he’s been let down and wants them by the end of the week 😉

Ten of these at 3.6m should be doable in an afternoon from the size sawlogs I have. So at £70 that would be £700, or around £600 after timber costs. Sounds good to me. 

A nice wee afternoons earner that. Plus a bunch of scabs for the stove. 

Just now, trigger_andy said:

A nice wee afternoons earner that. Plus a bunch of scabs for the stove. 

I produce far more than I can burn, but I can’t bring myself to not bag them up, they’re so easy to do. Got myself a little bag holder at the end now. 

IMG_3455.jpeg

• Like 6

Just now, doobin said:

I produce far more than I can burn, but I can’t bring myself to not bag them up, they’re so easy to do. Got myself a little bag holder at the end now. 

IMG_3455.jpeg

Now that is a clever idea! 

I get to use the branch logger to bag mine up. 10 x 1m3 bags in just over an hour. Folk pay good money for them too. Not done any this year though. Need to get a firewood side Hussle set up. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I get to use the branch logger to bag mine up. 10 x 1m3 bags in just over an hour. Folk pay good money for them too. Not done any this year though. Need to get a firewood side Hussle set up. 

What model branch logger, and what does the finished product look like? 

10 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

People down south are too posh to pay for ‘waste product’. Firewood is form rather than function here 🙄

I used to put them through processor but I reckon it’s easier to me to deal with them as they come.  Branch logger set for short cuts does sound great though.