How old is too old

Booster

If your a mega fit, ripped Army dude who is never out the gym and always running and hiking then no bother.  If you’re not then being in the army 13 years ago is like saying you were good at the long jump in P4.  
  If you get stuck in now and graft with the 20 year olds at their pace then your back will be goosed within a year if you make it that long  and that’s if your knees are shot already.

I’d say you would be a great asset to any tree company, just not a climber or labourer.  I’d give you the keys to the truck and get you to run the crew.  Look after the youngsters.
  Speak to a large company, someone of your age and experience is sought after.  Times are changing, mechanisation has come on leaps and bounds since the grapple saw was allowed in the UK these last few years.  Big companies will also be able to justify MEWPS and cranes so more chance of you gaining some height with them.

Good luck with whatever you do mate! 

• Like 4

What are you doing for work now and how much do you need per month?

Even if you got a slot tomorrow and climbed every day for four years,you would be 60 competing against 25 year old with the same experience level.

If you really want into the industry,get your HGV and try for driver/ groundy.

I had an applicant once who was ex RN,he just couldn't understand thatdespite all his courses,age,experience etc that he was still only worth minimum because that's all I could have gotten from him for years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

If you really want into the industry,get your HGV and try for driver/ groundy.

I sold a bit of machinery a couple of years ago to a tree company how sent one of their blokes to pick it up, I found out he was just a driver and groundy company he work for ran big lorries 10 to 12 ton gross and large chippers plus big cherry picker, young lad couldn't drive them but he had right licence to. 

As others have said machinery is making work easer now so getting tickets  to use them is key.

• Like 3

I did the same at 55 when they kicked me out. Got a good few years climbing in before the body finally stopped me doing it full time. Now been just over a year doing inspections/surveying for the same people and finally called a halt to doing the emergency works call outs earlier this year. Still rather be climbing but have to make do with the odd day on personal stuff.

Give it a try, I wasn't as fast in the tree as some of the younger guys but could give them a hiding on the ground.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JBH said:

Lot of ex services get in at your age.

Most end up successfully running their own company in the domestic market due to their contacts, interpersonal skills and personal financial stability. Nice to work for squared away people as well.

You probably aren't going to be doing the big dismantles but sub another climber in and run the ground.

4 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

If your a mega fit, ripped Army dude who is never out the gym and always running and hiking then no bother.  If you’re not then being in the army 13 years ago is like saying you were good at the long jump in P4.  
  If you get stuck in now and graft with the 20 year olds at their pace then your back will be goosed within a year if you make it that long  and that’s if your knees are shot already.

I’d say you would be a great asset to any tree company, just not a climber or labourer.  I’d give you the keys to the truck and get you to run the crew.  Look after the youngsters.
  Speak to a large company, someone of your age and experience is sought after.  Times are changing, mechanisation has come on leaps and bounds since the grapple saw was allowed in the UK these last few years.  Big companies will also be able to justify MEWPS and cranes so more chance of you gaining some height with them.

Good luck with whatever you do mate! 

Hi Stephen

I'm not a gym bunny but I wasn't in a hat line regiment. Difference is I can just keep going... despite knees and back...but what you say is totally fair. I know how how  helping mates takes its toll but I'm not sure as big company will fit me either..good advice and food for thought thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts