Grin mulching mower

Seanp

I don't sell Grin, but over the years I have sold my fair share of various makes of mulch mowers- walk behinds not tractor or ride on mowers. Biggest mistake buyers make is they think it's a great idea not to have to collect and dispose of cuttings, but don't realise they are only any good on relatively short, regularly cuts grass and then only if it is bone dry. This is why mulching in warmer climes around the world is the norm (look at california/florida etc) where you will rarely see a grass collector fitted. As I have said to many customers, the grass needs to be reasonably short...max around 40mm and dry to mulch effectively...otherwise all you are buying is a very expensive 'juicer'

The grass needs to 'percolate' within the cutting deck so it can be cut many many times to effectively form a dust which can simply be laid on the lawn to disappear and even act as a fertiliser when it really is parched. If the grass is long and wet it cannot do this and therefore simply clogs and comes out in clumps. This then encourages moss as well as being messy and not leaving a nicely cut lawn and will seriously affect the quality of any lawn as not removing the cuttings (even if mulched correctly) for extended cutting periods will simply add thatch. In the UK we prefer a more formal lawn for recreational and aesthetic reasons with finer bladed grass. Most of the warmer climes such as America have broader leaf grass and don't use their lawn like we do, so the finished quality of the grass for them is not so much an issue.I have lost count the amount of ill informed reviews I have read about mulch mowers and blaming the mower....rather than how it's being used incorrectly

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, pleasant said:

I don't sell Grin, but over the years I have sold my fair share of various makes of mulch mowers- walk behinds not tractor or ride on mowers. Biggest mistake buyers make is they think it's a great idea not to have to collect and dispose of cuttings, but don't realise they are only any good on relatively short, regularly cuts grass and then only if it is bone dry. This is why mulching in warmer climes around the world is the norm (look at california/florida etc) where you will rarely see a grass collector fitted. As I have said to many customers, the grass needs to be reasonably short...max around 40mm and dry to mulch effectively...otherwise all you are buying is a very expensive 'juicer'

The grass needs to 'percolate' within the cutting deck so it can be cut many many times to effectively form a dust which can simply be laid on the lawn to disappear and even act as a fertiliser when it really is parched. If the grass is long and wet it cannot do this and therefore simply clogs and comes out in clumps. This then encourages moss as well as being messy and not leaving a nicely cut lawn and will seriously affect the quality of any lawn as not removing the cuttings (even if mulched correctly) for extended cutting periods will simply add thatch. In the UK we prefer a more formal lawn for recreational and aesthetic reasons with finer bladed grass. Most of the warmer climes such as America have broader leaf grass and don't use their lawn like we do, so the finished quality of the grass for them is not so much an issue.I have lost count the amount of ill informed reviews I have read about mulch mowers and blaming the mower....rather than how it's being used incorrectly

They are advertised as being able to mulch wet and long grass, sounds to good to be true. Thanks for your reply

6 minutes ago, Seanp said:

They are advertised as being able to mulch wet and long grass, sounds to good to be true. Thanks for your reply

You're welcome.

This attachment mirrors what I said in my earlier post.......just so it's not just my opinion.

GAMMIES.CO.UK

Ever considered mulching? I'm sure you've heard people say it's great but what exactly are the benefits and considerations of...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pleasant said:

The only thing worse is a bloody petrol Flymo!

1 hour ago, Seanp said:

Was just looking for a way to reduce the amount of clippings I take home from jobs. Looks like I will have to continue collecting it

Its not what you were looking for, but on lighter laurel and conifer jobs I use an iseki sxg 19 with collector. Similar machines would do the same job. It's not ideal but it sucks up more than you would think, providing you crawl along. Reduces the bulk a lot and you can tip straight into a trailer, saving most of the raking up. At a guess I'd say it removes 70% of the clippings, bit of blowing and a few minutes of raking is still required. But much reduced. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would have said that mulching lawns need to be 40mm at the least. Okay for outlying areas and so one but it dont do the grass good to be right short anyhow - unless you do all the rest of the stuff like remove thatch etc!

• Like 1