585 exhaust mod (maybe)

Donnie

Well the little socket cap melted on my exhaust and I kept using it and it's kind of sucked itself in but anyways... got a new one on warranty but kept the old one. 

Thinking of modding the exhaust if I could get some info on how to do it myself. Also what exactly can you expect from a modded exhaust? Apart from a more deafening note

IMG_3910.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

Not done a 585 muffler but to keep the noise down, always allow the exhaust port to fire against the baffle plate or front of the exhaust before exiting elsewhere. Forward facing outlets are just stupidly loud.

Second tip, make your new outlet come from the muffler chamber closest to the cylinder so exhaust gases avoid having to go through the baffle first.

Third tip - make sure the new outlet gases don't hit top covers or brake handles etc as they will melt!!

Lastly, the type of outlet is down to your skill set. One of the simplest outlets is a slot louvre...a bit like the old Stihl 026 outlet cut through with a dremel diamond cut off disc then opened and shaped. If you can braze, silver solder or weld, you can go for a let in steel tube type...Stubby will be around soon with his ear bleeder 372!!

Do all the thinking first and check twice, cut once....having the new lovely big pipe outlet foul the chain brake handle isn't a good look.

Technically, all you are doing is trying to get improved flow without deafening the immediate population around you!

Back pressure doesn't really kick in until you get in to expansion (tuned) pipes.

• Like 1

Having both the 585 and 592 and put a good amount of time on them, just take the spark screen out and get on with it. The exhaust which is the same on both saws is just an empty can with no baffles and a good sized outlet. However it's your saw so do as you wish but those stainless exhausts are a bit on the thin side for messing with. The guy I use for most of my port work was part of the factory test team and in his opinion there is very little to be gained doing anything with the 592. High praise indeed, as for the 585 I found and from speaking to other users they tend to come out set fairly rich. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, outinthewood said:

Having both the 585 and 592 and put a good amount of time on them, just take the spark screen out and get on with it. The exhaust which is the same on both saws is just an empty can with no baffles and a good sized outlet. However it's your saw so do as you wish but those stainless exhausts are a bit on the thin side for messing with. The guy I use for most of my port work was part of the factory test team and in his opinion there is very little to be gained doing anything with the 592. High praise indeed, as for the 585 I found and from speaking to other users they tend to come out set fairly rich. 

Aye spot on cheers again mate. 

I had a wee look when I made this post and I was curious as to why there is no baffle but hey ho. 

Now the spark arrestor or however you call it, I've always removed them on my saws. 62/72/85 but never really understood what it does for the saw... If anyone can explain

12 hours ago, JDon said:

Aye spot on cheers again mate. 

I had a wee look when I made this post and I was curious as to why there is no baffle but hey ho. 

Now the spark arrestor or however you call it, I've always removed them on my saws. 62/72/85 but never really understood what it does for the saw... If anyone can explain

Its supposed to stop a spark escaping and setting fire to any dry vegetation . Fat chance in this country so like you a remove them from the get go . 

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Its supposed to stop a spark escaping and setting fire to any dry vegetation . Fat chance in this country so like you a remove them from the get go . 

Does removing it mean less restriction to outflow of exhaust gas so a little more power?