Grapplesaw/shear qualification query

JLA1990

28 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Have a look here ('FYI') - presume there are other providers offering this too.

This is the closest to a national recognised qualification. As far as i know, it still hasn't been ratified by Fisa.

Give us a tinkle if you want any advice

On 13/11/2023 at 07:45, slack ma girdle said:

This is the closest to a national recognised qualification. As far as i know, it still hasn't been ratified by Fisa.

Give us a tinkle if you want any advice

its a grapple saw ticket but its not.

id love to know more of the finer details before committing to paying for the course.

in the 2-1/2 years I've owned my roto and grapple saw I've learnt more than could be passed on in a two day course. Unfortunately this seems like box ticking for box tickings sake but until there is a better solution then this sort of course will have to suffice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Shutler said:

its a grapple saw ticket but its not.

id love to know more of the finer details before committing to paying for the course.

in the 2-1/2 years I've owned my roto and grapple saw I've learnt more than could be passed on in a two day course. Unfortunately this seems like box ticking for box tickings sake but until there is a better solution then this sort of course will have to suffice.

This is the problem ,  you will never be able to condense That kind of knowledge in 2 days.

You have no doubt had A few 'iffy'' moments, and wont repeat .

The course is aimed at providing baseline information for you to build on: safe working loads, chain shot, etc.

Particularly relevant given the spate of tipped over Rota due to lack of understanding Of safe working loads.

• Like 2

I remember a historically very prolific (and in fairness really interesting and creative) poster on here showing off his latest large excavator-based grapple saw creation. When I questioned what it’s swl was at full reach and how he could know what he was going to end up holding once cut he poo-pooed my thoughts as ridiculous, stating something along the lines of ‘There’s no tree in the world this machine can’t lift’… 

I’m guessing he either learned the error of his ways through a near miss or via a clued-up employer dismissing his RAMS as worthless as he apparently now preaches to all who will listen about load charts etc! 
There is a lot more to cutting and holding timber at radius than is often appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I remember a historically very prolific (and in fairness really interesting and creative) poster on here showing off his latest large excavator-based grapple saw creation. When I questioned what it’s swl was at full reach and how he could know what he was going to end up holding once cut he poo-pooed my thoughts as ridiculous, stating something along the lines of ‘There’s no tree in the world this machine can’t lift’… 

I’m guessing he either learned the error of his ways through a near miss or via a clued-up employer dismissing his RAMS as worthless as he apparently now preaches to all who will listen about load charts etc! 
There is a lot more to cutting and holding timber at radius than is often appreciated. 

It really does open up the wider debate about head types and base machines etc.

I know that if I'm within 12m out the side of my merlo 40-26  il be hard pushed to cut something big enough with the GMT 035 that would overload the machine. 13-14m away I need to be bit mindful of size (and a number of other factors) and at 15m I've got little to no capacity.

There are some very complacent/dangerous operators out there in a variety of different machines who either don't know better or just dont care

4 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

It really does open up the wider debate about head types and base machines etc.

I know that if I'm within 12m out the side of my merlo 40-26  il be hard pushed to cut something big enough with the GMT 035 that would overload the machine. 13-14m away I need to be bit mindful of size (and a number of other factors) and at 15m I've got little to no capacity.

There are some very complacent/dangerous operators out there in a variety of different machines who either don't know better or just dont care

There is also the consideration of what is being cut growing away from the machine - the weight itself might be ok but that weight might actually have a centre of gravity at a greater radius than the cut point. Depending on the head it may not fall to vertical, but instead massively increase leverage (and subsequent tippy-over-forces)…

I’m also surprised that we haven’t seen a big hiab grapplesaw through a house roof yet - once these units get old and second hand and more affordable I foresee carnage!