New career leap

Craigb

On 11/11/2023 at 09:20, Craigb said:

I’ve been a welder for over twenty years now and I’m going to get into tree work instead. I’ve secured funding for my 38/39 with that forestry funding application. I did apply for 30/31 but didn’t hear anything on this. Cue the Simon bates music, I’ve become fed up with a trade I one enjoyed and have felt like getting into tree work for some years now. The problem is at 40 you have a bunch of financial commitments, I realise jumping career will mean I’m starting at the bottom so I’ll be effectively an apprentice. Anyone done this transition care to share any tips on making this as financially painless as possible and also share any success stories.

craig.

Can you do 39 without 30 / 31?

13 hours ago, Mightbe_lost said:

I had a lot of negativity on my post (now deleted) but when I spoke to actual people in real life it was a much more balanced outlook.

People are far less likely to give you an honest answer face to face though. They'll just blow smoke up your backside to avoid offending, or to tell you what you want to hear to avoid a confrontation. They'll just tell you 'yeh thats a great idea! You should really really go for it'. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Why not do your rope access qualifications?  

With your welding experience I would think the money would be very good once you get your climbing hours in and progress levels.  The would always be the option of NDT, again good money.

NDT? As in Lola testing?

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

People are far less likely to give you an honest answer face to face though. They'll just blow smoke up your backside to avoid offending, or to tell you what you want to hear to avoid a confrontation. They'll just tell you 'yeh thats a great idea! You should really really go for it'. 

I get what you're say but I'm not an idiot. The Internet is full of people who love a moan, where as by talking to genuine people in real life working the job has been much more beneficial. And like I said it was a much more balanced outlook on the industry. It wasn't all positive but it also wasn't all men tell me I'm a silly weak little girl who should do something else. 

Unfortunately unhappy people are the loudest when it comes to social media.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mightbe_lost said:

I get what you're say but I'm not an idiot. The Internet is full of people who love a moan, where as by talking to genuine people in real life working the job has been much more beneficial. And like I said it was a much more balanced outlook on the industry. It wasn't all positive but it also wasn't all men tell me I'm a silly weak little girl who should do something else. 

Unfortunately unhappy people are the loudest when it comes to social media.

I dont remember the thread you started, I guess I missed out in that one.

I would never say that a female should not enter any sector based on her sex, far from it, I openly encourage it. My day job is working in Norway and the Norgies have a far more balanced view of what women are capable of and you see women in all sorts of roles that are seen as traditionally male orientated such as Rough-Necks and Binmen (women).

In this instance though we're talking about someone who is a skilled trade person, closing in on middle age and has responsibilities that would make such a drastic and uncertain change to a very poorly paid manual job a somewhat unwise career change. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I dont remember the thread you started, I guess I missed out in that one.

I would never say that a female should not enter any sector based on her sex, far from it, I openly encourage it. My day job is working in Norway and the Norgies have a far more balanced view of what women are capable of and you see women in all sorts of roles that are seen as traditionally male orientated such as Rough-Necks and Binmen (women).

In this instance though we're talking about someone who is a skilled trade person, closing in on middle age and has responsibilities that would make such a drastic and uncertain change to a very poorly paid manual job a somewhat unwise career change. 

I had my post deleted as it was just getting silly, i have had some lovely and encouraging dms tho.

I do get what you are saying. I'm in a similar boat. I'm leaving 15 years of a well paid career and im approaching 40, but you only live once, and nothing stops him giving it ago but then decided to return to his previous career or even doing both.

• Like 2