Scaling up and need advice; 10 inch tractor chipper and mini digger to feed

Treemover

I’m looking into a tp 250 pto chipper; a tractor as a base suits as it’s versatile. 

I’m looking at a 3 ton Kubota with a grapple to feed it; but I’d a 3 ton ok?

I don’t want something too big or heavy. 
how are others getting on with mini diggers in the 3 ton category feeding chippers etc? 

10 hours ago, Treemover said:

I’m looking into a tp 250 pto chipper; a tractor as a base suits as it’s versatile. 

I’m looking at a 3 ton Kubota with a grapple to feed it; but I’d a 3 ton ok?

I don’t want something too big or heavy. 
how are others getting on with mini diggers in the 3 ton category feeding chippers etc? 

I’d say you really want something 2.7t ish so it’s towable behind a 4x4 or large van, otherwise your digger will spend more time hauling everything to site with multiple trips than it does chipping. 

The other thing you need to feed a chipper is a rotating grab rather than a fixed grapple (unless by grapple you meant a grab and rotator?) You simply have to have the ability to feed the chipper with a slew and rotate of the grab, anything else will be ten times as difficult, make a mess tracking about and quickly lead to damage of the chipper. 

Free hanging rotators (dangle type) are safest for feeding chippers, but a fixed rotator lets you do a lot of other stuff like ripping out also, and with a good op can be used to feed a chipper. 

this is my bobcat e27, it’s a fixed rotator on the grab. 

IMG_3001.jpeg

Edited by doobin
  • Like 3

2.5 - 3 tonne machine is fine for chipper feeding. As @doobin says, it’s the grab setup that is important. Get a digger with 2x aux hydraulics already plumbed in to operate from buttons on the joysticks ideally as this allows you to easily fit (and operate intuitively) rotating grabs without having to tee into other services and use foot pedals/the bucket crowd etc. 

6 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

2.5 - 3 tonne machine is fine for chipper feeding. As @doobin says, it’s the grab setup that is important. Get a digger with 2x aux hydraulics already plumbed in to operate from buttons on the joysticks ideally as this allows you to easily fit (and operate intuitively) rotating grabs without having to tee into other services and use foot pedals/the bucket crowd etc. 

yes I was going for a swinging rotator and grapple; down the line I might opt for a shears or something that can cut and feed. 

• Like 1

Hi.

I have a 10 inch crane feed Jensen  that I must get around to selling .

good chipper, needs a new overrun pto clutch and a bit of a tidy.

it’s set up with axle and drawbar (easier on tractor one on ground) but can be changed back to 3pl in an hour or two.