Private car insurance?

PeteB

A right curved ball has been thrown at this! Got the car, right happy with it but annoyed that, even as old gits, it is a tad dear to insure....heyho, get on with life.

Today, she gets an email. As she only has written prove that she can provide of the last insurer over the last three years, they want an additional fee of close on £400!!!!

I go to the Swift online site, fill it in with reduced 'Excess' and add me as a named driver and the 3 years proven. The quote comes back at approx £150 more than the original........

Go to the same comparison site I used before and put in the same details (excess, proven and me as a driver) and one is about £230 less than the Swift original price! Bizarrely, I have to have a black box fitted. Otherwise it is about £50 sobs cheaper.

I can feel some angry phone calls coming on!

Could you not just buy a cheap run about for the wife and get her to build up no claims? For 1000 you can get a reasonable run about with 12 months MOT.  cheap insurance cheap/free tax good on fuel. Something like a Fiat Panda. The money you will save on fuel per year will cover the cost of insurance.

WWW.PARKERS.CO.UK

Fiat Panda Hatchback (2004 - 2011) in-depth review. Read our experts' views on the engine, practicality, running costs, overall performance and more.

One thing about changing prices, there is a sweet spot before renewal date for the best price, too early and it is high, too late it is high. I think it is a couple of weeks early. Might be that getting closer to the insurance start date is making the difference, change the date by a week might make a difference - do day insure to get the car home and park on the drive maybe

I tried Adrian Flux as my Hot Rod and Disco were with them but they were over a grand.

She has never claimed on a motoring policy but hasn't got proof in bits of paper etc or she was on a family policy where she was not the proposer etc. She has had a load of sheds through life and is rewarding herself for the hard work/crap jobs/poor pay and cheap cars she has had in life.

Even though she was a named driver on my Disco 4 for 4 years and could drive the GreenMech tow tug for the last 12 - this matters not a jot!

Insurance companies don't even wear a mask when they rob you!!!

• Like 1