Postage at £4.95+vat per order - discuss

Rob D

1 hour ago, Rob D said:

We may have to charge more for the longer items but likely we will keep it simple so that regardless of where you are everyone pays the same.

But the costs aren't the same, the costs vary depending upon location and volumetric weight/length.

Proportional, it cost me more to send that you you, so you pay more.

In reality I bet the majority are in the lower charge bracket and the postage charge only makes up the variance on a median number not taken from the whole but from a range.

If it costs £2 to send to location A and £10 to location B and you send 100 items to location A and only 1 item to B then you only have to increase your postage to £2.08 (ie by 8p) to break even.

In response to your sending a long bar to the USA via UPS, the answer is simple .... "Sorry we don't sell into the USA, thanks for asking".

2 minutes ago, Mik the Miller said:

But the costs aren't the same, the costs vary depending upon location and volumetric weight/length.

Proportional, it cost me more to send that you you, so you pay more.

In reality I bet the majority are in the lower charge bracket and the postage charge only makes up the variance on a median number not taken from the whole but from a range.

If it costs £2 to send to location A and £10 to location B and you send 100 items to location A and only 1 item to B then you only have to increase your postage to £2.08 (ie by 8p) to break even.

In response to your sending a long bar to the USA via UPS, the answer is simple .... "Sorry we don't sell into the USA, thanks for asking".

There is a huge variance in what you are sending and where you are sending it and how it is sent. Virtually impossible to work out or to find a median without a lot of time and work - which then needs to be costed in somehow which can then become counter productive.

We like selling to our US customers so it's really not as simple as that.. Now and again we get stung - it hurts - but we have to take it and move on.

I think delivery charge is fair enough.  Who can honestly say they can jump in their truck, drive to a local dealer and back, taking into account their time out the business and fuel and it won't cost a lot more than a fiver?

I'd rather have a flat rate across the board rather than spending time looking through website, go all through the checkout procedure not knowing if carriage will be £2 or £15.

Everyone knows nothing is free in this world, if someone is offering free delivery it must be covered in the cost of the products?

But that's just me.

6 hours ago, NJA said:

I think delivery charge is fair enough.  Who can honestly say they can jump in their truck, drive to a local dealer and back, taking into account their time out the business and fuel and it won't cost a lot more than a fiver?

I'd rather have a flat rate across the board rather than spending time looking through website, go all through the checkout procedure not knowing if carriage will be £2 or £15.

Everyone knows nothing is free in this world, if someone is offering free delivery it must be covered in the cost of the products?

But that's just me.

I should have made it clear I'm not exactly endorsing not using your local dealer, lot to be said for having a good relationship with local dealer.  But from purely a financial point of view I don't think a fiver is unreasonable to get products to you.

• Like 2