Postage at £4.95+vat per order - discuss

Rob D

We may have to start bringing in postage charges again as in these modern times of 'fuel surcharges' 'out of area fees' 'over size item charges' we need something towards these..

The difficulty is - people hate paying postage. The larger orders generally cost a lot more to send now - we seemed to get a good all in one consignment rate before - not so these days and the long mills we are paying a lot to get packed and over to people. Used to be around £12-14 and now we are paying £40-£60.

We have tried all options by the way in terms of all the main couriers - they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

So anyways we will likely be adding a £4.95+vat postage charge to all orders from now on. Feel free to add comments below [it is after all why I posted this!]. We used to get so much grief of 'it only costs £1.50 Royal Mail you're ripping me off!' but we have fulfilment now which means more efficient orders - but they have set minimum order charges no matter how large the order.

Fair enough. I don't think you can run an online sales business, where the business absorbs some of the postage costs.  Ultimately this distorts the margin and provides an incentive to put up prices which ultimately makes comparison difficult as a consumer.  Sometimes groups go even further and the exact postage is calculated based on a postcode and the size of the items in the basket.

You say that, but ebay can only offer that convenience because they are massive (so can average out global delivery charges), are well funded and treat their sellers, suppliers and delivery companies pretty badly.  As you say, this approach is convenient and customers like it so smaller traders try to do the same. However ultimately this means the trader either absorbs some delivery costs or effectively one group of customers is subsidizing another.  People delivering to London subsidizing those delivering to Orkney, those buying one chainsaw file paying for those buying an 8ft chainsaw bar. 

You're thinking of Amazon, not eBay.

Then you confuse the royal mail model of universal service, if people are honest at the basket 1st I have zero problems.

Have an empty basket with 4.95 at the beginning and then add your stuff, a certain engineers website then ends up being more expensive than eBay as a result, or atleast say £50 and it's free.

Most of the chains i buy are direct from a Stihl dealer and includes the postage. Oil is actually direct from Gator and cheaper than they're own website. Everything else tends to be at a dealership if I'm not in a rush.

I should also say I've used a lot of couriers commercially, royal mail actually works cheapest in most cases. It's more work but £6-8 Vs FedEx at £15+ for a small bag.

Edited by GarethM

@Rob D It's about being proportionate IMO.

Charging a flat rate (say £5) for a filler cap or a rim sprocket v a 36" bar and chain, the fuel cap/sprocket guy will be pissed off (or is it just me ?) and go elsewhere.

My solenoid went on my winch the other day and 1 company wanted  £55 + £15 shipping + vat

I paid another supplier £70 all in (with next day TNT) and I could have bought the same item on eBay for £59 all in, but had to wait for the 3 to 5 day inclusive shipping.

As it was the item took 2 days to come rather than the 'next-day' but the £10, up to 2kgs next-day shipping I felt was worth it.

In reality the eBay seller sold for £48 inc vat (less 12.5% fees and £4.50 shipping) so in reality less than 1/2 the price of the other 'sellers'.

Back too the fuel cap, I just bought a genuine Stihl cap, off eBay, which arrived in 2 days with a 2nd large stamp and almost 33% less than a well known supplier/retailer.

My question (in these examples) is how can they (eBay sellers) do that ?

All I can think of is that the resellers are demanding significantly higher profit ?

Do that to me once or twice and i'm not coming back, if it's an obvious rip (item £2.60 shipping £8)... then it's a 'No' before the starting pistol has fired.

If it's a 16" bar and chain (£42) and £8 shipping or some other largeish (up to 5kgs) items, then thats fine.

If it's over 10/15kgs or longer than 1M then the shipping will be £10 to £12, that fine too.

Shetland costs more, so do other remote locations, the islanders know that.

If you're going to charge me more than the retail cost of a 2nd class stamp to sent me a rim sprocket then i'll get my replacement chains and bars from A N Other.

I agree with @GarethM too, "I hate companies that only add the postage at the very end", postage prices up front rather than after we've opened an account, been sent a 'code' to our phone and put in what colour socks we wear on a tuesday ...

Edited by Mik the Miller

It’s about the overall package for me, if I’m pricing it up I’m pricinglike for like delivered to my door/local dealer. Just be honest and don’t add the postage at the end make it plain to see. 
we buy all our saw bars and milling stuff from you guys - bars because sugi bars offer the best value for money in my opinion and the milling kits because you stock good kit at sensible prices and back it up with good advice and knowledge over the phone or e mail if needed.

All the rest I buy local if I can as I feel it’s important to buy local as far as possible. My priority is local dealer, uk dealer, followed by rest of world. There are exceptions when you need a cheap crap item for a one off throw away job then unfortunately Amazon or fleabay normally wins. 

1 hour ago, Mik the Miller said:

@Rob D It's about being proportionate IMO.

Charging a flat rate (say £5) for a filler cap or a rim sprocket v a 36" bar and chain, the fuel cap/sprocket guy will be pissed off (or is it just me ?) and go elsewhere.

My solenoid went on my winch the other day and 1 company wanted  £55 + £15 shipping + vat

I paid another supplier £70 all in (with next day TNT) and I could have bought the same item on eBay for £59 all in, but had to wait for the 3 to 5 day inclusive shipping.

As it was the item took 2 days to come rather than the 'next-day' but the £10, up to 2kgs next-day shipping I felt was worth it.

In reality the eBay seller sold for £48 inc vat (less 12.5% fees and £4.50 shipping) so in reality less than 1/2 the price of the other 'sellers'.

Back too the fuel cap, I just bought a genuine Stihl cap, off eBay, which arrived in 2 days with a 2nd large stamp and almost 33% less than a well known supplier/retailer.

My question (in these examples) is how can they (eBay sellers) do that ?

All I can think of is that the resellers are demanding significantly higher profit ?

Do that to me once or twice and i'm not coming back, if it's an obvious rip (item £2.60 shipping £8)... then it's a 'No' before the starting pistol has fired.

If it's a 16" bar and chain (£42) and £8 shipping or some other largeish (up to 5kgs) items, then thats fine.

If it's over 10/15kgs or longer than 1M then the shipping will be £10 to £12, that fine too.

Shetland costs more, so do other remote locations, the islanders know that.

If you're going to charge me more than the retail cost of a 2nd class stamp to sent me a rim sprocket then i'll get my replacement chains and bars from A N Other.

I agree with @GarethM too, "I hate companies that only add the postage at the very end", postage prices up front rather than after we've opened an account, been sent a 'code' to our phone and put in what colour socks we wear on a tuesday ...

We can't send a rim sprocket by 2nd class stamp as if it doesn't arrive you will rightly complain and expect us to re send it. We can likely sell a small chain or fuel cap that way as risk is less.

I think we charge £4.95+vat regardless of whatever you order - we now have a fulfilment center so min we pay is around £3.60+vat regardless if that is a £1 item [that is Royal Mail Large Letter untracked].

Thanks for the feedback it's very useful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Postage is a nightmare. We try to be competetive but generally always lose out if the customer only orders a single item.

We are using a fulfilment center now and they have minium fees per order so it's pretty hard to ship small items with a tracked service. I think £4.95+vat across the board is a simple rule and is fair for 96% of orders.

• Like 2