Ms500i felling spikes.

Ledburyjosh

On 04/09/2023 at 18:33, slack ma girdle said:

Why?

They make it almost impossible to sned properly with.

They are only useful for humbolt cuts.

How do you find it impossible to sned with? I've massive ones on my 572 as they were only 60 quid. Double dogs. 

The original dogs were absolutely bollocks and the exhaust would hit the tree when bore cutting/walking round bigger trees. 

Even set a couple alight with the original dogs 😂

• Like 1

You need big bucking spikes if you are working large timber,all mid to large saws in other countries have them.

Back chaining you need them

Cutting over the back of a big log

Cutting the scarf into anything with buttress roots

Working anything thats as long or longer than your bar

Running the saw around the  backcut you need them

There are some real whopper tales on this thread.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

You need big bucking spikes if you are working large timber,all mid to large saws in other countries have them.

Back chaining you need them

Cutting over the back of a big log

Cutting the scarf into anything with buttress roots

Working anything thats as long or longer than your bar

Running the saw around the  backcut you need them

There are some real whopper tales on this thread.

I honestly wouldn't be without a proper set of big spikes. I feel as if it actually gives the saw a break if you're dogged into a back cut, walking it around. 

Maybe just me... only cut for one year so far. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JDon said:

I honestly wouldn't be without a proper set of big spikes. I feel as if it actually gives the saw a break if you're dogged into a back cut, walking it around. 

When your walking it around the back in the cut next time,try lifting the powerhead just slightly,really almost like lifting a shopping bag with a liter of milk in it.Makes a huge difference as the chain isnt getting squeezed by the weight of the saw bending the bar slightly at the edge of the cut.

• Like 6

On 06/09/2023 at 07:54, slack ma girdle said:

Thats because the 'Yank' ones are degigned for biting into the thick spongy bark of redwoods.

Try carrying a saw uphill through brambles with the big spikes on.

Most of the time i don't use spikes/felling dogs, a sharp chain is all you need.

The exception is felling downhill on steep slopes where positioning is difficult .

If your carrying a saw uphill in brambles with plate facing forwards your going to catch brambles and the ground anyway? Carry it with rear handle facing forwards🤔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dan blocker said:

If your carrying a saw uphill in brambles with plate facing forwards your going to catch brambles and the ground anyway? Carry it with rear handle facing forwards🤔

Or , leave a few days of stubble on your chin , do a neck roll and then hoist it up onto your shoulder with your arm over the bar . 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Or , leave a few days of stubble on your chin , do a neck roll and then hoist it up onto your shoulder with your arm over the bar . 🙂

With a check shirt, pkt of Marlboro in top pocket and the biggest pair of dogs you can find😳. Anybody got tips for my old lady to get cheap gooey black chain oil off brushed cotton check🤔

On 12/09/2023 at 19:20, JDon said:

On the flip side, it makes me cringe to see people levering on the spikes to crosscut faster and make up for a dull chain.  The strain and heat must be horrendous.  Its almost as bad as applying the chain brake shortly after full throttle for no reason other than you've finished cutting.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

On the flip side, it makes me cringe to see people levering on the spikes to crosscut faster and make up for a dull chain.  The strain and heat must be horrendous.  Its almost as bad as applying the chain brake shortly after full throttle for no reason other than you've finished cutting.

Snapping the brake on to a full chat chain is a very useful skill. You watch someone do it and it instantly communicates, "Don't ask that bloke to do anything very complicated."

Edited by AHPP
  • Haha 2