Botex timber trailer brakes and stub axle question

swinny

Does anyone have a diagram of the parts on the stub axle and brakes or a picture etc when removing? 

Jasp wilsons renewed the shoes and wheel bearings in my trailer a couple of years ago. I've never really checked them as it doesn't get used often at all. It's not done many miles since as I work local.  

Before wanting to use ot for a job the other day I thought I'd blow up the slow tyre on it and gave a wiggle on the wheels. Both the rear braked axle wheels were floating in and out like loose on the bearing.

Pulled hub cap off and knocked out the split pin and the big nut won't tighten any more as its fully home  and not pressing against the the bearing.

Stripped it today and had a good look in there. All bearing races seated correctly. Bearings are good. The washer tightens agains the flat on the stub axle so it cannot go further. The front bearing goes up as far as it should..... but the drum floats forwards (at this point the front bearing sits in the race fine) and backwards. 

It's like they've missed out a spacer at the back when re assembling. At the back of the big rear bearing there are 2 small plates with a seal on. 

I'm positive there should be a 5mm washer / shim at the back there..... 

The main front washer and nut cannot tighten the front bearing up as it doesn't sit proud of the flat lip the washer goes up to if you get me?

20230826_142754.jpg

20230826_140659.jpg

20230826_140243.jpg

20230826_134556.jpg

Edited by swinny

25 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Does sound wrong having that much end float on taper bearings, washer shouldn't reach the shoulder ever. Also as the rear bearing is open there needs to be something to seal it, my Spitfire has a felt seal the plates like you describe sound good.

Yes it's like a spacer is missing  so the front bearing isn't proud at the front if you get me to nip up and put a split pin in....

And yes it's got 2 big thin discs with a seal on to stop grease going into the shoes. 

13 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Daft question, do you have a picture of the other side of the hub ?.

Maybe someone fitted the wrong size bearing on one side and the wrong taper lock on the other, as a spacer would need to be quite meaty and hopefully hard to misplace.

Unfortunately  no. I see where your going but the bearings are hugely different in size.... I think it would be like a 5mm spacer needed easily. 

Though when you look on the stub picture looks like a 8-10mm clean bit on the shaft then the discoloured and then cleaner bit roughly 20mm long / wide that bit where the bearing would run, before the shaft tapers for the centre to be full of grease, then up towards the front where the front bearing sits, then the flat edge and then threads

Looks really bad in the video. It's obviously been like this since they did this. Just wish I had checked before but didn't think it would be necessary. Like I say it's hardly used. Bit of a bugger really! 

Need to sort it as it will eat bearings and knacker the stub axles if I use it