Stihl ms362 messing around

swinny

First time any grief off this saw since I bought it a few years ago.... 

Cutting up logs we winched up a banking.... bur bur bur.... like ran out of fuel. OK, it was very low. Filled it up, started it again and it messed about and cut out. Started it up again, idles fine.

Chain brake off and rev it to clear to cut logs, it revs and then just dies down like its going to cut out. 

Finished day off with a 462 but severely missed the 362.... 

Any ideas what to check?

Clean carb out etc? Fresh plug? Is the silly solenoid on the carb like the 201t? But they used to cut out when idle not when revving when that was a problem.

Any help appreciated.  Love this size of saw

Edited by swinny

• swinny changed the title to Stihl ms362 messing around

1 hour ago, lurch_918 said:

not sounding daft but have you checked the fuel filter ?

Not yet. Just took the bar and chain off and fitted it to the other saw. Will get it out and blow it out and try it again when I'm back home. Seemd weird how one minute fine and next not. Probs done 2 tanks that day allready it had if not more

20 hours ago, swinny said:

Clean carb out etc? Fresh plug? Is the silly solenoid on the carb like the 201t? But they used to cut out when idle not when revving when that was a problem.

Yes I think it's a similar solenoid.

Plug is first thing I would always do, so cheap and easy. Fuel filter likewise, couple of quid, worth doing just to eliminate them from your investigation. Quite often plug is enough.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2023 at 18:45, spudulike said:

Two things to check, make sure the clutch drum and bearing are in good order as they do suffer a bit of the MS261 issues. If all OK, swap out the solenoid as this is likely to be the issue if the rest of the machine is in reasonable condition.

Checked clutch, bearing and drum out etc. All OK. Swapped plug off a good engine and even blew out filter in tank. No luck. 

Ordered a solenoid up this evening. Fingers crossed 🤞 

All my solenoid issues have caused an idle that is too slow and causes the machine to either die on idle or just peter out on idle. Hope it fixes your issues and worth trying. If you pop the carb off to fit it, check out that gauze strainer...always a favourite to cock up an engine running correctly.

35 minutes ago, spudulike said:

All my solenoid issues have caused an idle that is too slow and causes the machine to either die on idle or just peter out on idle. Hope it fixes your issues and worth trying. If you pop the carb off to fit it, check out that gauze strainer...always a favourite to cock up an engine running correctly.

When I git it running again it wouldn't idle much.... and try rev it would die. Run it it would idle then stop eventually maybe 10 seconds or so. 

Fingers crossed 🤞  it's been posted today says couriers 😀 

If it doesn't work I'll send you the address for my 28.00 plus vat compensation lol 😆 😂 

On 22/08/2023 at 21:04, woody paul said:

Not had much to do with modern Stihl saws, but neighbour asked me to look at his old Stihl 028 wood boss as it wouldn't start, then when I got it started wouldn't idle, turned out diaphragm had layer of fine saw dust on it under cover plate.  

Pretty common on MS460s but not on much else in my experience.