What static band sawmill would you buy?

HB98

3 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

1 uk dealer no prices on the website not something i would be looking at. 

I've been in contact with the dealer. I have a quote, seems good price, slightly cheaper than trakmet for similar spec. Not sure how the build quality compares but I hope to go and look at one in person. The lead time on a new trakmet is 8-10 months!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HB98 said:

I've been in contact with the dealer. I have a quote, seems good price, slightly cheaper than trakmet for similar spec. Not sure how the build quality compares but I hope to go and look at one in person. The lead time on a new trakmet is 8-10 months!

What is the availability on those.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, billy_wizz said:

Yes but they last much longer as long as you avoid stones,nails and general crap(although that's true of all blades)!  Also assuming you can find a decent saw doctor to look after them!

My experience with  saw doctors has been mixed to say the least. Ended up buying sharpening and setting eqpt and have had far better results and blade longevity, using a variety of woodmizer sharpening wheels really showed what a mess the blades and hook angle were in after a few trips to my local saw doctor. As for tipped blades for some reason I’ve never got along with them but I know others love them, admittedly I never did sharpen any myself. 

8 hours ago, Johnsond said:

My experience with  saw doctors has been mixed to say the least. Ended up buying sharpening and setting eqpt and have had far better results and blade longevity, using a variety of woodmizer sharpening wheels really showed what a mess the blades and hook angle were in after a few trips to my local saw doctor. As for tipped blades for some reason I’ve never got along with them but I know others love them, admittedly I never did sharpen any myself. 

In fairness the benefits of tipped blades is far more noticeable in softwood! My options are limited to tipped or swaged blades as I'm pretty sure they don't do a spring tip for a 7" body blade also not sure how they would cope with 60 m a min cut speed!

Given the issues so many people have with saw doctors I'm wondering if I should invest in a setting machine (already have the grinder) and putting my bandsaw maintenance qualifications to work! If you don't mind what does it cost to have a narrow band serviced these days?

1 hour ago, billy_wizz said:

In fairness the benefits of tipped blades is far more noticeable in softwood! My options are limited to tipped or swaged blades as I'm pretty sure they don't do a spring tip for a 7" body blade also not sure how they would cope with 60 m a min cut speed!

Given the issues so many people have with saw doctors I'm wondering if I should invest in a setting machine (already have the grinder) and putting my bandsaw maintenance qualifications to work! If you don't mind what does it cost to have a narrow band serviced these days?

I think between £10-12 is what I was paying, not sure for other members. Just curious regarding the 7” body blade, what’s that running in ??.