Moth habitat

Hi folks

Is it normal to get  insects finding there way into  your log burner, after our recent  install ,  with a external chimney we seem to be having loads of large moths most alive 14 at the last count,    few bumble bees and wasps  which are dead ,   unfortunately my other half has me rescuing  before we light up    then screaming  and running for cover when one escapes claiming I did that on purpose hehe . I've had a look at the mesh on cowl which seems to be  large is it worth trying to wrap it with a finer mesh.

Yes - insects, the odd small bird and bats! I find wasps tend to hibernate in my log stacks, and wake up once I bring the logs in before burning... I wouldn't put a finer mesh on our chimneys as the draw isn't very good where we live - but if you live in a windy area it probably wouldn't hurt much, as long as the mesh holes aren't too small.

Edited by sandspider

9 hours ago, jowa said:

I've had a look at the mesh on cowl which seems to be  large is it worth trying to wrap it with a finer mesh.

I am very wary of any mesh on a cowl because it may become clogged with soot. I do have experience of a pellet burner, which does not produce much soot, eventually blocking a gas cowl and causing smoke in the boiler room.

Never heard of that before!  When you are using the stove, they won't like the environment at all, in the summer just keep the stove door and vents closed. If you are really concerned, you could always use an anti moth bomb, but then a small fire in the summer would have a similar effect

Is this a recently installed stove or liner?  A well used flue will be a pretty toxic environment even in summer.  If its new, maybe the problem will go away with use.

• Like 1